Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Panther04

Graphical Login Issue

I'm just writing to find out if anyone else has lost the ability to have the graphical login w/the welcome screen. I'm running XP Beta2 and the only thing I can think that would have disabled this is I installed PCAnywhere 9.2 and Terminal Services Client. I can go to the control panel and check off use the graphical login, but when I go back to check if the option held, it is unchecked again. Just wondering if this is a bug or if this is normal after installing certain software. Thanks.

Have you installed the same software like I did, or was it just random that it stopped working?

PC Anywhere uses a modified awgina.dll to interact with local user credentials. Many applications that make use of local credentials use this approach to allow authentication to "pass through" without the need for more user input. I would imagine that this is what your issue is. This is the same file that brought Win2K down with any version before 9.2 (and even some installs that claimed to be 9.2 did the same thing). Symantec makes their products SO intertwined with the OS that any variance, such as service packs, seems to cause issues. There will more than likely be a patch to fix this from Symantec once XP goes retail. But hey, be glad that it didn't keep your system from booting...

smile

Clutch - thanks for the insight. Do you happen to know if I uninstall PcAnywhere will it revert back to the old dll and fix the issue? Once again, thanks for the informative post! smile