Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GPRaider

Windows XP+Athlon+Geforce = %80 Stability

Hey All,

Just wanted to share my findings with you guys and see what yall think. Saw an earlier post where somebody suggested that those with MX cards use 10.40 drivers. Well, I have the same problems that he and a few others were experiencing only I have a Guillemot GF DDR-DVI card.

Now after installing the 10.40 drivers I noticed that I could watch movies, play D3D games and OGL games without a problem but my performance went down the drain. I saw my performance drop to about 50FPS tops in Quake3, Oni was EXTREMELY choppy, Giants was not as smooth as XP Beta1 with 6.47 dets.

I tried 10.80, 11.xx's and those resulted in Media player crashing. Using 7.xx's allowed Dx games to play but OGL games would not load levels. They would simply just hang. 6.4x+'s would result in DX games displaying incorrect graphics or crashing.

Now with all the above mentioned drivers I also had infrequent desktop crashes. Similar to the problems experienced with Win2K during its release. For no reason at all the machine would just freeze. I didn't have this problem with Beta1 at all. My AGP is set to 1x by the way. Anybody running a similar setup at 2x?

3D Chipset.com put up Guillemot 6.34 drivers and I tried those. VIOLA! Gaming is back to normal. No more corrupt graphics in Giants. I can play without crashing. Quake3, ONI, Counter-Strike all play without any problems and I can watch Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon MPEG without it tossing a blue screen at me.

I find that all the games play extemely smooth at 1024x768x32. I havent benchmarked for exact FPS in 3DMark or anything like that. My Quake FPS comes from the FPS meter that I leave on.

Any suggestions on a better driver to use, or perhaps a hacked set that work better than the 6.34's?

Other than this minor problem Beta2 ROCKS!!

Xing MP3 player finally displays the buttons correctly btw. Not that I use it. ;-)

Thanks,

Tes

Antec?? Full Tower / Antec 300Watt PS

Thunderbird 1ghz on MSI K7-Pro

384MB PC-133 Crucial Ram CAS 2

Guillemot 3D Prophet DDR-DVI 32MB

Fujitsu UW160 9gig 10K on Adaptec 19160

2xMaxtor 13.6gig 7.5K on Promise FT66 Raid 0

SB Live! Value

Intel 10/100 Nic

Generic 50x CD-R

Mitsumi 4802TE 4x2x8 CD-RW

NEC Zip100

20" SuperMatch BNC monitor (Sony Trinitron)

Cambridge SW DT2500

Logitech Mouseman Wheel Optical (Big Blue one), Microsoft Internet Keyboard.

Other Misc devices. :-)

[This message has been edited by GPRaider (edited 09 April 2001).]

Thanks! I'll try it out. I looked at that but since it was for Win2k I didn't really figure that it would be an issue. I thought MS would have taken that into consideration and these are new issues to deal with. I'll let you know what happens.

Are you saying that running Xing MP3 Player in Beta 2 works or is it your drivers? I know it didnt work in 2000? I seems to remember it not working in my build of XP either (2458). -Aaron

[This message has been edited by luders (edited 10 April 2001).]

Good question. I never installed it until after I installed the 6.34 drivers. I would assume that Xing Mp3 player runs under build 2462 because under 2000 and XP Beta 1 it didnt matter what drivers were installed, the program had the same corrupt skin. Now I finally get to see what the program is supposed to look like. It sounds great too.