Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cynan

Locking your workstation.

Is there anyway to lock your workstation in XP? Control-Alt-Delete just brings up the Task List, and beats me if I can see an option for it. The help still refers to 2K too. Grrr.

One more thing while I'm here, I've heard ppl say the performance matches that of 2K, but for me, I find that its quite a lot more sluggish.

--Cynan.

Strang i find it to be much faster than win2k in every way. Don't know if madden runs but I have yet to have a game not run on it. I think that if you click log off then switch user that is about the equive to locking the workstation in 2k.

Are you running Pro or the Consumer version? I don't know if it makes a difference, but Pro definately comes up with the same options as NT4/2K when you hit ctrl-alt-del. I don't know about consumer though.

As far as performance goes, it runs about the same on both of my systems as Win2K did. In addition, some of the AD integration seems partially implemented; like Terminal Services browsing and computer mgmt browsing don't *seem* to work right, while printer searching and resource browsing work quite well.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

When I hit C-A-D in xp pro i get the task manager. When it hit C-A-D in win 2k I get the options for lock computer shut down task manager etc. Not the same thing.

When I hit C-A-D in XP Pro, I get the same options as Win2K/NT. This is on both my fresh install and my upgrade from Win2K. Same-same for me.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

This is by default. In addition, I don't see this "switch user" function that others have mentioned either. The system seems fully integrated into my AD (like Win2K does) and shows very little seperate administration for its own domain.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

It must be because you are intergrated into AD or a domain or something cause i have never seen the windows security window in xp. I know that is the reason why the switch user is not available.

Not sure what is going on here.

I have 2x WinXP Pro & 1x WinXP Server integrated into out work domain, well they are in a sub-tree of the primary domain.

All three of these machines are fully integrated into AD, the server is functioning fine, it's replication partners are all replicating as should.

Every single one of these machines can be simply loced from Ctl-Alt-Del 'Lock Computer'.

It never occurred to me that this was *not* normal function. The "switch user" function sounds like more of a consumer/domestic feature rather than an enterprise function.

Bladerunner, how is the IIS portion of XP server? Does FTP have any new features? I am hoping to get the server beta, but I think our account will only get it come RC time.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I must admit I was rather suprised to get all the beta's!

We recently took out a TechNet Plus account and I sent an e-mail to betaplace asking if I could get on the WinXP beta.

1 day after the official release of beta 2 I received CD's for Home User, Professional, Server & Advanced Server.

I haven't had chance to really play with server yet.

It added itself to AD very easily.

When in a domain you have the excellent 'Show effective rights' tab built in.

IE I choose a file, then click 'Show effective rights' and then select a user.

It tells me exactly what rights that user has to that file - very handy when you've got users in multiple groups etc.

Over the next couple of days I should be getting IIS up and running on this box for some internal Intranet pages, so I'll see how that goes.

Looking very good so far, no real issues, not that I really had any under Win2k.

I'm running Professional. I'm glad that the locking dialog is still present, now if I can just find a way to access it!

Maybe when I added a new Administrator user, it didn't give me the relevant permisison or something.

As for the speed, I haven't tried running any games in it yet, just that when I move my mouse pointer across the screen, its sloooooow - and yes, I have changed the speed of it. :-P. The menus load up slow too. I'm acrediting it to the new UI enhancements.

I am considering switching to it as my primary O/S though, if everything I use runs ok.. so far only ZoneAlarm refuses to work, but I can live without that. I just wanted to make sure it was sending stuff to MS without my knowledge.

--Cynan.

"I just wanted to make sure it was sending stuff to MS without my knowledge."

8) 8)

winklaugh

Hey guys!

"USE THE WINDOWS KEY + L LUKE!"

It's actually the switch user key combo but it locks it up anyway. I havent tried under a domain but I would assume the same.

Tes

Do I win anything?

clutch, have you messed with any on the UI features? maybe when I did that, it 'changed' something else to... a bug perhaps?

I might reinstall a fresh and see if I get the lock prompt BEFORE I change the UI to the classic style etc.

--Cynan.

I didn't change anything. And honestly, a difference like that seems more like a difference between personal and professional versions. I can see the personal version not having the lock/logout/task manager settings like pro does.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Hold the Windows key and press L. It takes you to the login prompt.

Win+L

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Four and Twenty:

I have Pro and it doesn't have those options</font>

If you go into Usser Accounts and change the login type from the welcome screen back to the classic style you get the nice handy box with lock comp log off and all that fun stuff like in win2k by pressing CTRL ALT DEl

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tes:
Hold the Windows key and press L. It takes you to the login prompt.

Win+L

</font>

Yup got it the first time you posted it thanks. Cool trick. I was talking about the Windows Security window which is what does not show up. I like that it doesn't show up though cause when I C-A-D I go straight to the task manager which I like better anyway.

When I use Win+L, it just locks the station for me. Do you guys have "Require users to press Ctrl+Alt+Del" checked under the advanced tab in User Accounts? I don't know why there would be a difference in presentation between 2 machines using the same version of OS. I would think that if WinXP Pro was not attached to a network (hence being its own domain) it would still have the C-A-D logon/taskman prompt as in every workstation level OS before it.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Thats it!!! under User Accounts, I turned the logon back to the normal one (disabling switching users) and I now get the lock computer dialog!

Thanks clutch!

--Cynan.