Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sciguy007

msn messenger go away!!!

how do i get rid of this damn msn messenger, frankly it pisses me off that i cant get it out of my startup items (it comes back) and i cant uninstall it or remove it as a windows option. there has to be a way to get rid of it. please someone, thanks.

that doesnt work, i tried it, it comes back. as in, the actuall program file gets added again to the startup list. its BS.

I did the mscofig like 20 times and it still kept commin back! *sigh* I finally deleted the whole folder of it:

C:\Program Files\messenger\

I think that was it. XP is so kickass in someways but they need to kill all those little annoyances. mad

ya that was going to be the next thing i tried. xp seems pretty good but i had some massive problems with that auto restarting feature. i think im gonna stick with 2k until xp is out of beta.

i just renamed the exe file, never came back, make sure you kill the process for it first before you rename.

Start the messenger and go thrue the activation. When the program has started you can go to settings. There you can turn it off.

i just uninstalled it from add/and remove windows components and i haven't seen it since

------------------

"In order to be free to learn"

"We must be free to dream"

[This message has been edited by Joker (edited 07 April 2001).]

Yeah, I just uninstalled from Add/Remove Programs too. That thing can be annoying. It start up whenver you run Outlook Express even though you told OE not to run Messenger at the startup.

I just got my copy of WinXP Beta 2 in the mail, and I can't find the uninstall for MSN messenger. It's pissing me off that it keeps loading up at startup. I turned it off through MSCONFIG, but I'm looking to completely remove it from my system. What's the best way. ALSO, is there anyway to log on w/o having to enter a password every time? Thanks

Jeff Knight

to get more uninstall options find the file sysoc.inf and remove the word HIDE from it (go to notepad press alt-h and type in find what:hide then replace it with no text.) and save it. As for not having to enter a password go to www.download.com and get either x-tek's x-setup or tweakUI. If you have any probs either post here or icq or e-mail me.