Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DarkAngel

WinRAR not working in XP for me....

gee you guys are so helpful. Can I ask why you even bother posting, is it just to rub it in that its working. Don't you think that you could somehow help this guy out with some of your advice. Or, let me guess you just installed it to your machine and pointed and clicked on next to get it to work, and it happened to work so you think that you are somehow superior. Nice elitist attitude. I don't have XP installed on anything at the moment but maybe I can offer you some help. Explain what types of errors you are encountering. Cut and paste the text to here if you have to. Do you get through the entire install or does it puke somewhere in the middle? I need some details but I may be able to help you.

jdulmage, vampyr - Just a quick question does the elitist attitude work to cover up your apparent incompetence? Because it doesn't work well here. Typical QA jackasses. You guys go ahead and let me know when you want to be schooled and I'll get in the short bus and come pick your retarded asses up.

-Cheers

-Moniker

*********EDIT*********

Oh ya just to let you know just because it says senior memeber under your 'nick' doesnt substitute knowledge.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moniker (edited 31 March 2001).]

That right there was the best post of the day

I don't really have anything against jd or vampyr but moniker is right you guys should probly try to be more helpful. At the same time dark angel asked for that response. He specifically said Has anyone gotten WinRAR to work in XP yet?

If you want help darkangel you really gotta tell us what the problem is otherwise you are just gonna get more answers like that.

He asked if anyone got it working... not "I have such and such an error please help".

Try installing the latest version and then download a crack to register it.

You are correct vampyr, he didn't specifically ask but, you could have said "I have it working here, what seems to be the problem?" Then, you provoke the information out of him\her. My whole point is, that people come here looking for advice. Maybe he\she doesn't know enough to ask a proper question. It's because, they don't understand it, so they are looking for your help. Why else would they post? I seriously doubt it was posted so it would give you something to troll. I'll give it to you that he\she didn't ask quite the way he\she should have. The thing is, you could have just said to him, "Hey I need more info to help you out any. Post an error of some sort, or, a log entry and I'll see if I can help." Or if you are super intent on acting like a jerk you could have said, "What do you think I'm a magician? Post an error of some sort so I can attempt to help you at least." and that could have gotten you your kicks just as much. This is all IMHO, of course. Now I don't want to start a flame war here. I just want you guys to know that not everyone has PC knowledge. Thats why they come here, for your help, not your ridicule.

-Cheers

-Moniker

P.S. Darkangel you need to ask more detailed questions if you want anyone to be able to help you.

[This message has been edited by Moniker (edited 31 March 2001).]

Vampyr, we don't need to answer them anymore then, screw them. We answer his question, and were flamed for it, so let's not even post.

[This message has been edited by jdulmage (edited 31 March 2001).]

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DarkAngel:
Sigh, if I cause that much trouble I'll just shut up.</font>

Don't say that give us some details about you problem. Does it fail to install or is running it the problem what is the error it gives
Moniker is obviously willing to help and I will do what i can, i am sure there are others here who will help also. don't be turned away by the rants back and forth that is quite normal here so learn to live with it i guess.

Vamp & Jdul weren't being elitist.

He asked if it worked. They responded. Obviously it's user error If 2 out of 3 people got it to work. I think most people presume that if they can make it to the NtCompatible Forum then they have at least some level of knowledge. I work with ignorant users every day but I can guarantee that there's a 50/50 chance I would have responded exactly as Jdul/Vamp did.

Chill man. Just chill. smile

My whole issue was that, every time I see a post from one of these guys, it has nothing useful to say. I was just thinking that it was obvious the guy was asking for help, why not just help him. I usually don't jump on someone just to show them I'm smarter then they are, it's childish. I work with stupid end users all day as well, and, I still don't think I would have reacted that way. It's easy to see that all dark wanted was some help. I just don't see why they didn't offer is all. That is what I saw as an "elitist attitude".

-Cheers

-Moniker

But how do a person helps someone that can't get WinRar to work?

What doesnt work? Can't it open the rar files? freeze while unzipping? what?

Help: Uninstall and install again. Give WinRar the boot, and use the newest WinAce.

Usually people are very helpful here, but to me a answer like "It works here with these specs" is a very fine answer. Then I know it should work, and I'm doing something wrong or has been unlucky with some install. Those problems usually fix themselves. Good luck

[This message has been edited by Galilee (edited 03 April 2001).]

Sorry for the long time to reply, but I have tried newer and older versions, they seem to work in Shareware mode, but once I get the registered (legally) copy off of my friend, it just crashes when it tries to run. Even when I crack it with a tested crack it won't run registered. Also, I should have been much more specific in my question, and am sorry for any trouble (and flaming messages) I have caused.

I just wanted to say.. WinRAR 2.71 works here no problem. Both the trial and full. Infact... Ive yet to install a program in 2462 that doesnt work, including a mess of games....