Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
typedef enum

XP bugs/oddities/etc.

1. This may be an nVidia problem, or an XP one...But I can use PowerDVD (I've used 2.55 and 3.0), watch a DVD...But the moment I shut it down, I don't get a BSOD...It just restarts the system.

2. Similar to #1, watching an AVI will do the exact same thing, except it restarts as soon as the video is about to begin.

3. Again, this one might fall under the "it's nVidia's bug", but I have noticed that when going into the advanced tab (using an nVidia GTS) in the display settings, and then hit "Cancel" or "OK", there will be a 3 seconds pause or so. In Win2000, it's pretty instantaneous.

(By the way, I'm using the 11.01 Win2k drivers)

4. Not a bug, but is anybody else using the Via 4-in-1 drivers?

5. This one is a Creative Labs bug, I believe. I have noticed this behavior in Win2000, but the result is a little different. I'm using a 5.1 Live! card, and the drivers off the CD (which are not the same as LiveWare3 on CL's website). After installing it in Win2000, I have noticed that whwenever I add a new device, and/or add new drivers, that stupid "EAX" splashscreen is executed. This isn't a huge deal, but there is something wrong....Back to WinXP: So, after having installed the Win2000 5.1 LiveWare drivers, if I install drivers *outside of safe mode*, I get that stupid EAX splash screen, and the OS will, once again, reboot.

6. Performance is right there with Windows2000. I have been playing a number of games, to include:

- UT

- Quake3

- Giants

- NOLF

- Black & White

- Tribes2

It's really hard to believe how far this thing is relative to Windows2000's Beta2...of course, it helps to be able to use the WIn2k drivers....Nonetheless, there's a lot of potential for things to not work correctly, and it is, for the most part, minimized a great deal. This OS is almost (in my eyes) ready for prime time...The hardware vendors just need to fix these little ticky-tack issues, and optimize their code for XP.

I have actually been most impressed with Direct3D performance to be honest with you...I knew that OpenGL would most likely rock, but was afraid that D3D was going to really suffer...I can gladly report, based on the games that I've tried, that this is not true.

Remember how long it took before you could actually use D3D in Windows2000? Man, it was a real sacrifice, as it simply wasn't very usable.

Its the 11.1 Detonator Drivers. Change to the 7.5x drivers and your problems will go away.

Yea! I use the Detonator 7.58 Win2000 WHQL-certified drivers in beta 2 2462! (btw, i'm a stikler for game performance)

Good Luck!

I was using the 7.58 then I switched it up to the 10.40 after a recomendation from Jr8110 in the "best drivers for my gf mx post"

the 10.40 are working great here games and movies all play exceptionally well. I had BSOD all over the place with the 11.01 set.

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500 (SE440BX-2 Chipset)

Triple Boot

Windows Millennium Final Retail (c: FAT32)

Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP1 (d: NTFS w/ 4K Clusters)

Windows Whistler Pro Beta 2 2462a (e: NTFS w/ 4K Clusters)

PIII 500 @ 512.8 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

512 Megs PC100 SDRAM

Guillemot Maxi Gammer Cougar (TNT2 M64 w/ 32 Megs of RAM / Core & Mem Overclocked by 20 mhz)

Matrox Millennium PCI (w/ 4 Megs of RAM for second monitor)

3Com Etherlink XL 10/100 Ethernet Card

Yamaha DS1 Integrated Audio

2 x Abit Hot Rod Pro ATA-100 RAID Controlers

2 x 12.6 Gig Maxtor Hard Disks RAID 0 W/ 8K block size (for system)

1 76.3 Gig Maxtor Hard Disk (for storage 1 NTFS partion w/ 4K Clusters)

40X LG CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Iomega Internal Zip Drive

MS Explorer Mouse USB

MS Natural Keyboard Pro USB

Dell M770 17 inch CRT

Dell E550 15 inch CRT

I'm actually most interested in finding out why that dumb EAX splash-screen happens whenever you add/change drivers...It happens in Windows2000, so I know it's not just XP.

I used to use a regular, old SB Live! card (IE not the 5.1), and it never used to happen...But those drivers are different than the 5.1 drivers off the CD.

That EAX splash screen occurs with WinME SBLive drivers as well. Just delete the executable file that contains the splash screen.