Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DarkAngel

Something XP will have trouble winning over users with

Hm, Four and Twenty, that's interesting. The instruction manual specifically says that MS "highly recommends" you use both ports. The PS/2 for KB, and the "optional" USB port if you want to use the USB ports on the KB. I wonder if yours is a later model...

I own one thoses Natural Pro Keyboard to and found it not good idea to hook up PS/2 & USB at the same time that make my system reboot ever time at boot it up.

INFERNO2000 USB v1 & v1.1 is a still legacy device which is connect to the southbridge chip you forgeting that USB only run 12Mhz just a bit fast then ISA slot for thoses that don't know true was 7.5Mhz speed but now it 8.5Mhz now dayit know as ISA but it really called EISA but no one use the real name I guest 1Mhz didn't make all that much of diff to MotherBoard Manufacturers hehe.

ISA does not do true Plug and Play. ISA was never designed to do PnP it was more of an after thought for EISA and it was expanded to provide *limited* PnP functionality. But to be fully PnP it has to answer the five questions of Plug and Play which are:

What are you?

Where are you?

What resources can you use?

What would you like to use?

What are you using right now?

EISA can only answer three so it is not fully PnP compatible. My whole original point was that Microsoft is no longer going to support ISA or EISA in future operating systems. It may have a few legacy device drivers in the driver.cab but it only does it for very standardized hardware such as the SB 16 and others. Just because Microsoft does not put the drivers on the CD does not mean that the hardware will not work correctly, just that Microsoft is not going to put the drivers on the CD any longer.

Also, USB is *NOT* legacy. Just because the max bandwidth of USB 1.x is 12mb does not mean that it is legacy. USB runs over the PCI bus not the ISA. USB 2.0 will support transfer rates of 100mb. All of this information is on http://www.usb.org.

[This message has been edited by MSGuy (edited 27 February 2001).]

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hit:
Hm, Four and Twenty, that's interesting. The instruction manual specifically says that MS "highly recommends" you use both ports. The PS/2 for KB, and the "optional" USB port if you want to use the USB ports on the KB. I wonder if yours is a later model...</font>

My manual says the same thing
it is bs tho i just use the usb. To hell with the legacy crap i use all usb. Also my computer boots plenty fast and does not boot any faster with the ps2 plugged in. But that is using winxp it may slow your boot time in win2k i don't know i don't use 2k anymore.

I agree, USB is faster, 12mbps I think compared to the slow rate of a PS/2 port (though on keyboards I don't think you will see much latency :)) I have everything on USB, and that's 5 perifials in total. I have had no problems, and the boot is still lightning fast with XP on my ancient K6-2 450

what about firewire? (sorry if this was mentioned already)

how come I hardly see any firewire devices?

Firewire is expensive. Also, firewire hasn't become a standard in the PC industry (very few motherboards available with onboard firewire). Firewire is an awesome technology, its faster than USB 1.0 and USB 2.0 and some have even rumored that firewire hard drives outperform scsi hard drives. Hopefully firewire becomes more popular in the future.

"FireWire" or IEEE 1394 as it is known in the PC industry is Standardized. Just because it does not come standard on a motherboard does not mean it is not standardized. IEEE 1394 has been around since 1980 when Apple copyrighted the name "Firewire". The specification has been expanded on since the beginning to increase speeds change signaling and that sort of thing but it has remained fairly consistant. IEEE 1394 *CAN* out perform SCSI in theory but that will not happen any time soon. The reason for this is because IEEE 1394 can transfer at speeds of 800mb /sec (currently but can go as high as 3.2gb in the future) but that is device to device right now. The limiting factor of IEE1394 is not its specification but the maximum throughput of the local PCI bus. Once that is thrown into the mix it becomes the bottleneck and it doesn't matter if your HD could transfer at 1tb /sec it still has to be transfered over the PCI bus.

SHS - Those ISA slots you have are not EISA slots. EISA was a pre-PCI 32-bit spec from Compaq and others that offered back-compatibilty with ISA. The cards kinda look like ISA cards, but the contacts are twice as long.

And MSGuy - EISA can answer all of your questions. It was workable PnP from back in the 80s (as was MCA, btw). The only real problem is that you had to use a system config menu instead of an OS menu.

While EISA never really caught on, there's still some very servicable 4x200Mhz PPro boxes out there with EISA slots. I don't think MS can afford to drop support yet.

After people saying usb might be faster than ps/2, I tired, but even at idle cpu usage is %25, and I feel my computer slower,

is that something wrong with me ?

also I didn't feel that boot time decrease

using ms natural keyboard n intelli optic