Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Marlboro

I really really need to ask you something...please help me!

I have win 2000 pro at the moment on my computer. Because i play games a lot, i want to upgrade to XP. So what i really want to know is:

1.What will be the difference between 2428 and final release (except small bug fixes) ?

2.Will games run faster on XP (2428) ?

3.Is 2428 stable enough for home use?

4.Will i make a big mistake changing to XP 2428? Because i intend to use this version untill final release.

5.Are windows 2000 drivers (graphic card, sound card...) good for XP? Or should i download drivers for 98 or ME ?

THANK YOU WERY MUCH...YOU WILL SAVE MY DAY!

I hardly downloaded 2428, so it is 2428 or nothing. I cant afford another download.

PLEASE, help me by answering questions above.

I am using 2428 as my primary os right now and i have not even booted 2k or me since i got 2428 set up

1.What will be the difference between 2428 and final release (except small bug fixes) ?

Hard to say there could be more new features. I expect to see some big changes/improvements in the beta 2 release.

2.Will games run faster on XP (2428) ?

yes i now get the same framerate in 2428 that i do in winme and about 10% better than win2k.

3.Is 2428 stable enough for home use?

that is a funny question

the 9x line has been the os for home users and not very stable.

there is really no comparing the stability of a 9x to whistler.

it is has been very stable for me better than 2k.

4.Will i make a big mistake changing to XP 2428? Because i intend to use this version untill final release.

Possibly

5.Are windows 2000 drivers (graphic card, sound card...) good for XP? Or should i download drivers for 98 or ME ?

2k drivers do the job

what you need to know is that results may vary this is a beta and it happens to work very well for me. but other betas have not worked for me. also there have been alot of people compaining about problems with this build so nothing is garanteed. I would say wait for beta 2 and run that but if you can't wait then this build should hold you over till the final.

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Triple Boot

Windows 2000 Pro 2195

Windows Whistler Pro 2428

Windows Millennium Final Retail

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

512 Megs Ram

Guillemot Maxi Gammer Cougar (TNT2 M64 w/ 32 Megs of RAM)

Matrox Millennium PCI (w/ 4 Megs of RAM for second monitor)

3Com Etherlink XL 10/100 Ethernet Card

2 x Abit Hot Rod Pro ATA-100 RAID Controlers

2 x 12.6 Gig Maxtor Hard Disks RAID 0 (for system)

1 76.3 Gig Maxtor Hard Disk (for storage)

40X LG CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Iomega Internal Zip Drive

MS Explorer Mouse

MS Natural Keyboard Pro

This has been talked about in other threads. But I will tell you anyway.

1. Right now it does not appear anything major will change. Although it is still in Beta phase so I could be proven wrong tomorrow. Once the OS gets to RC (Release Candidate) there is very little change.

2. Will games run faster? Compared to what? I would say that if you have decent hardware you should not see a decrease but I would not migrate to this OS thinking that everything is going to be much faster, because it is very doubtful. I would say its on par with Windows 2000 gaming but with more compatibility.

3. 2428 in my opinion is very stable, I run it at home exclusively.

4. That is hard to say. Its more of a personal choice. I have been running 2428 for a couple weeks and absolutely love it. Some of my friends don't really care for it. So do a little research and see if you like the new features.

5. Yes, you should run Windows 2000 drivers. Windows XP uses the WDM driver specification. This is the same that Windows 2000 uses and Windows ME *trys* to use. Although I have not seen Windows ME drivers use the WDM spec they mostly still use VXD's which suck big time.

Hope that helps you out some. Next time do a search through the previous topics. Most likely it has been discussed before.

[This message has been edited by MSGuy (edited 07 March 2001).]

ok, i haven't use 2428 yet, i remember when i had 2257 installed, it was so slow and hogging ram that i couldn't stand it, 2428 isn't like that?

it was so slow and hogging ram that i couldn't stand it

Sounds like you're describing the build I have (2416). smilewink

The Questionnaire beta 2.0 icon5.gif

i run 2428 and am in the process of an update to 2446 the only problem i have with 2428 is the lack of complete if any java functionality in it and thats about it no real major complaints about the OS at all a few complaints about not having everything work but this is a beta OS.

install the 10.80 win2k driver & via 4.05b agp and watch games fly