Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dirty Harry

Whistler Beta lets MS technician connect

How about this cool "feature" in XP (beta). Anybody heard of this ?

"If ANY error occurs while the OS is running, the OS connects your internet connection and sets up an IP logging session with the main MS server. At which point, the server gives a time to answer an IP call. Once this happens, a HUMAN technician logs into your computer, and the OS lets them."

check out this thread

http://www.the-ctrl-alt-del.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000203.html

H.

the point is that it is a beta OS and they have full rights to do that since it is not a full release software certain privacy issues don't take effect here.

Yep, right so, but it's still good to be aware of it. I'm not particularely interested in having a bored MS technician digging around my system without my knowledge.

H.

I think you are a little confused there buddy..your thinking of remote assistance, which is a feature that allows you to chat with MS, and allow employees and techs to take control of your system in hopes to show you how to do something, rather than explain it, and you have the CHOICE of allowing that user to connect to your system. It's a way better way of doing things and you can do it between two regular ppl, not just MS

so! who cares if winxp DOES let them in, i'm sure the MS techs are professional about it and don't care about your p0rn or w4rez collection on your box. and THC is right.

[This message has been edited by EddiE314 (edited 03 March 2001).]

I got the best firewall of em' all! It's called "cut" cord with scissors from back of box. laugh

The Questionnaire beta 2.0 icon5.gif

[This message has been edited by Questionnaire2 (edited 04 March 2001).]

It was probably in the agreement when you install the beta. All betas have them, but how many people actually read them?

It is a really good idea for 50% of the people who own a computer to allow a tech from MS troubleshoot a problem from his/her computer. Think of the amount of $$ spent on phone support. Then think of the amount of people (anyone who is on AOL) who do not know how to troubleshoot their own computer problems. It is a good idea, but the person does need to have a choice if they want to connect or not.

But it's good in a way that they do connect to your computer.For 1 to see if there is any bugs before they realase the final copy

and 2 to see what people use the most

I would expect that this feature is unlikely to be fully available on the release versions of WinXP.

The amount of time and money MS would have to invest to ensure that the place is fully manned 24 hours a day, and that the technicians can speak all languages for those foreign language versions of the OS is going to be huge.

I would imagine that it's likekly to be available as a subscription option for rich/less technical users and large companies.

Anything else really doesn't make much businees sense.