Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
elomire678

Windows XP 2428 Doesn't start.

I just started to install Windows XP build 2428 on my machine and it won't get past the Starting Windows Whistler part in the non-GUI setup. I've had this problem with earlier builds, 2416 and 2257. Beta 1 (2296) was the only version that actually booted on my machine.

I tried the supposed fixes for this problem. I yanked out my two network cards and disabled USB in my BIOS but still da nada. Any one have any idea on how to fix this?

AMD K6-2 450 MHz

Freetech P5F93, ALi Aladdin V

128 MB PC133 SDRAM @ 100 MHz

ATi All-in-Wonder 128 16 MB

SB Live! Value

Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 NIC

Digital 21041 "Tulip" NIC

Cirrus Logic 56k V90 ISA Modem

8.4 GB Maxtor HDD

Toshiba SD1212 DVD-ROM

Divide and conquer. I would fdisk then format your drive. I would startup with a bootdisk that has CD support (win98 startup disk is good for that) and xcopy the I386 dir from the CD/DVD to the harddrive. I would then remove all my devices except:

Video card, harddrive, floppy. Everything else I would remove this means cd/dvd, sound, modem etc. Go into the BIOS and use the set up default mode. Try to run setup from the Harddrive. See what you get. This may sound drastic but you have to narrow down the choices. This gives you a barebones system to work with. Good luck!

Thanks. It was my ISA modem that was stalling it. Weird. XP is working nicely now. Well except for no TV and no DVD, but that's ATi's f-ing fault for their cruddy drivers.