Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cobra

Windows XP gets stuck during install

I have tried two different copys of the latest build. I am installing from a formatted drive, fat32. I run smartdrv.exe and then start the install. It will get through the first part and shutdown for the first time. When it comes back up, it copies a few more files and then hangs. It says in the lower left hand corner something about Setup is Starting Whistler. I have ran Win 9x, Win ME, Win NT and Win 2k on the computer in the past. Since it stops at the same stop while using two different copies, I am thinking it is a system issue, but I can install any other OS and it works fine. I have tried installing from the CD and by coping the files to the c: and installing from there. Can anyone help!?

Here is my system:

Abit BE6-2

P3-700@1008

320megs pc133 micron

Maxtor 20gig 7200rpm

Seagate 13gig 5400rpm

Creative Labs Geforce2 GTS

SBLive

3com 10/100 NIC

I installed it from within win2k and chose to install it to a different partition. I also used a NTFS formatted drive. My install got screwed up the first time too, but when I tried it agan it hang and so i just rebooted and it started over and passed thru. Maby not much help but i suggest using a NTFS formatted drive from the beginning.

------------------

C U on the other side!

I have found the problem. The problem lies with the GeForce 2 chipset. I had the same problem until i switched out my GF 2 MX with my old Riva TNT and after i switched cards the setup completed fine. So please pass this bug onto the whistler team.

i already did a long time ago, it's a driver problem (Nvidia probs, not MS's probs)..

they are looking into getting Nvidia to test things out again