Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CrashNBurn

Removing Win2k

I just installed the latest beta of Whistler, and can't figure out how to remove my previous install of Win2k. What do I do? Also, is there some way to do a clean install of Whistler, instead of having to install over a previous operating system? I noticed there is no support for install disks

CrashNBurn

I hope this help...here we go....

I'm assuming that you want to remove Win2k, but keep Whistler...

simply...in a DOS prompt, get to the main drive letter...we will use C:\ as the default drive..

Change to C:\, type in "attrib -s -h -r boot.ini"

then type "edit boot.ini"

remove the part in there that shows Windows 2000. Save it. Then type "attrib +s +h +r boot.ini". Make sure your doing all of this in Whistler. Then in Whistler, goto the directory that has Win2k in it, example is C:\winnt for 2000 and c:\windows for whistler.

Remove the winnt directory...reboot the computer, everything should be fine after that.

And yes, you can clean install. If your using FAT32, simply use a Windows 9x boot disk to get into DOS and install it through there off of your drive or off the CD.

Hope this helps..

I tried booting with a Win9X boot disk and running setup, but it keeps telling me that "this program can't run in MSDOS mode"...any suggestions?

CrashNBurn

Quote:
Originally posted by jdulmage:

I hope this help...here we go....

I'm assuming that you want to remove Win2k, but keep Whistler...

simply...in a DOS prompt, get to the main drive letter...we will use C:\ as the default drive..

Change to C:\, type in "attrib -s -h -r boot.ini"

then type "edit boot.ini"

remove the part in there that shows Windows 2000. Save it. Then type "attrib +s +h +r boot.ini". Make sure your doing all of this in Whistler. Then in Whistler, goto the directory that has Win2k in it, example is C:\winnt for 2000 and c:\windows for whistler.

Remove the winnt directory...reboot the computer, everything should be fine after that.

And yes, you can clean install. If your using FAT32, simply use a Windows 9x boot disk to get into DOS and install it through there off of your drive or off the CD.

Hope this helps..

make a bootable Whistler CD then. Follow the instructions here just keep the CD marker files on there the W51 or whatever they are on there.

errr no offense....THC 129, I think that CrashNBurn is a newbies...lol..

j/k

you have to switch to the i386 folder the same folder as whistler is in and run "winnt.exe"...

example...

C:\2296\i386\winnt.exe

[This message has been edited by jdulmage (edited 08 November 2000).]