Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hollywood63

Help installing a driver

I'm trying to install a printer driver from a tar file and need some help installing it I got out the book but it doesn't have much on installing tar. This is what I did and what happened

[root@user name]# tar xzf install_drv_z42-0.4.1.tar.gz

tar (child): install_drv_z42-0.4.1.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory

tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now

tar: Child returned status 2

tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

[root@user name]# tar xzf install/home/hollywood_drv_z42-0.4.1.tar.gz

tar (child): install/home/hollywood_drv_z42-0.4.1.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory

tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now

tar: Child returned status 2

tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

[root@user name]#

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks Art 8)

Forgive me if you already know this but, did you "cd" to the directory where those files were downloaded before trying to extract them? If so, what you are doing should work. Try also:

gunzip install_drv_z42-0.4.1.tar.gz [enter]

then:

tar xvf install_drv_z42-0.4.1.tar [enter]

Dapper,

Thanks for the response I believe I did the cd I'm a green horn with Linux but I'm doing my best here is what I tried from your post.

[hollywood@01flht hollywood]$ cd /home/hollywood/drv_z42

[hollywood@01flht drv_z42]$

[hollywood@01flht drv_z42]$ gunzip install_drv_z42-0.4.1.tar.gz

gunzip: install_drv_z42-0.4.1.tar.gz: No such file or directory

[hollywood@01flht drv_z42]$ cd /home/hollywood

[hollywood@01flht hollywood]$ gunzip install_drv_z42-0.4.1.tar.gz

gunzip: install_drv_z42-0.4.1.tar.gz: No such file or directory

[hollywood@01flht hollywood]$

What do you see that I'm doing wrong

:x

I know this may sound a little silly, but try to do an ls in those directories to see if the file is actually there and the name is correct. I could not find a file with the name you have given in google or any of the web pages I found for that driver. It is always like this: "drv_z42-0.4.1.tar.gz" I couldn't find any that had the word 'install' at the beginning of the file name... ;(

hollywood63, be sure to 'cd' to the directory which contains the zipped tarball, not to the zipped tarball itself. Think of it as walking into a room (directory) to open a package (drv_z42-0.4.1.tar.gz), not going into a room and into the package. wink If you downloaded it to your 'hollywood' directory, you won't need to cd to that location since, when you open a terminal you'll already be there.

It should go something like this for you...

Code:
[hollywood@01flht hollywood]$ suPassword:[root@01flht hollywood]# gunzip drv_z42-0.4.1.tar.gz[root@01flht hollywood]# tar xvf drv_z42-0.4.1.tardrv_z42/drv_z42/COPYINGdrv_z42/ChangeLogdrv_z42/READMEdrv_z42/src/drv_z42/src/z42_cmyk.cdrv_z42/z42tool/drv_z42/z42tool/src/drv_z42/z42tool/src/z42tool.cdrv_z42/z42tool/src/Makefile.indrv_z42/z42tool/src/z42tool.hdrv_z42/z42tool/src/main.cdrv_z42/z42tool/src/Makefile.amdrv_z42/z42tool/src/support.hdrv_z42/z42tool/src/support.cdrv_z42/z42tool/src/interface.hdrv_z42/z42tool/src/interface.cdrv_z42/z42tool/READMEdrv_z42/z42tool/pixmaps/drv_z42/z42tool/pixmaps/logo2.pngdrv_z42/z42tool/install-shdrv_z42/z42tool/autogen.shdrv_z42/z42tool/configure.acdrv_z42/z42tool/Makefile.amdrv_z42/z42tool/stamp-h.indrv_z42/z42tool/acconfig.hdrv_z42/z42tool/aclocal.m4drv_z42/z42tool/missingdrv_z42/z42tool/config.h.indrv_z42/z42tool/mkinstalldirsdrv_z42/z42tool/Makefile.indrv_z42/z42tool/configuredrv_z42/z42tool/depcompdrv_z42/INSTALLdrv_z42/TODOdrv_z42/FAQ[root@01flht hollywood]# cd drv_z42/[root@01flht hollywood]# vi READMEDRV_Z42=======What is it?-----------This project is a driver / configuration program for the Lexmark Z42 printer.The printer driver was reported to work with the Lexmark Z43, and the CompaqIJ1200 also (which is basically a relabeled Z42).The configuration program should work with these printers, andalso with the Lexmark Z52.I think the Z42 is a very nice printer. Unfortunately Lexmarkdid not make a Linux driver for the Z42, so I had to write my own. It's astrange thing: hardware manufactorers not releasing protocols: you do want to@"README" 104L, 3168C                                1,1           Top

To move down the page in vi, press the down arrow. To get out of the readme from vi, just press escape, then:

: x [enter] (without a space between : and x) (..it makes a ;( here...)

After getting out of the README which you viewed with vi, it appears that you install it by typing:

/install-sh [enter]

You may have to look around, read some more and work with it though. If you have any questions at all, I'm here to help. Good Luck! smile

[hollywood@01flht hollywood]$ su

Password:

[root@01flht hollywood]# gunzip drv_z42-0.4.1.tar.gz

gunzip: drv_z42-0.4.1.tar.gz: No such file or directory

[root@01flht hollywood]# chmod 777/home/hollywood/drv_z42

chmod: too few arguments

Try `chmod --help' for more information.

[root@01flht hollywood]# cd /home/hollywood/software

bash: cd: /home/hollywood/software: No such file or directory

[root@01flht hollywood]# cd /home/hollywood/Software

[root@01flht Software]# gunzip drv_z42-0.4.1.tar.gz

[root@01flht Software]# tar xvf drv_z42-0.4.1.tar

drv_z42/

drv_z42/COPYING

drv_z42/ChangeLog

drv_z42/README

drv_z42/src/

drv_z42/src/z42_cmyk.c

drv_z42/z42tool/

drv_z42/z42tool/src/

drv_z42/z42tool/src/z42tool.c

drv_z42/z42tool/src/Makefile.in

drv_z42/z42tool/src/z42tool.h

drv_z42/z42tool/src/main.c

drv_z42/z42tool/src/Makefile.am

drv_z42/z42tool/src/support.h

drv_z42/z42tool/src/support.c

drv_z42/z42tool/src/interface.h

drv_z42/z42tool/src/interface.c

drv_z42/z42tool/README

drv_z42/z42tool/pixmaps/

drv_z42/z42tool/pixmaps/logo2.png

drv_z42/z42tool/install-sh

drv_z42/z42tool/autogen.sh

drv_z42/z42tool/configure.ac

drv_z42/z42tool/Makefile.am

drv_z42/z42tool/stamp-h.in

drv_z42/z42tool/acconfig.h

drv_z42/z42tool/aclocal.m4

drv_z42/z42tool/missing

drv_z42/z42tool/config.h.in

drv_z42/z42tool/mkinstalldirs

drv_z42/z42tool/Makefile.in

drv_z42/z42tool/configure

drv_z42/z42tool/depcomp

drv_z42/INSTALL

drv_z42/TODO

drv_z42/FAQ

[root@01flht Software]# /install-sh

bash: /install-sh: No such file or directory

[root@01flht Software]# cd drv_z42/

[root@01flht drv_z42]# /install-sh

[root@01flht drv_z42]# vi readme

[root@01flht drv_z42]# /install-sh

Dan this is what I came up with the story of my life

no such file or directory

smile

When going into readme all that shows up is a bunch of vertical bars on the left of the terminal box.

Am I trying to bite off more then I can chew here? This is my last step in ditching M$ eveerything else I do works good I just can not print with my printer. I quess my other option would be buy a new printer frown

Thanks Art

You're doing great! I'm sorry, I told you / rather than ./ , but it wouldn't have worked anyway as install was a how to. I don't have time to go into detail, but take a look at this..

Code:
[shelley@caroshell shelley]$ suPassword:[root@caroshell shelley]# cd drv_z42/[root@caroshell drv_z42]# lsChangeLog  COPYING  FAQ  INSTALL  README  src  TODO  z42tool[root@caroshell drv_z42]# cd z42tool/[root@caroshell z42tool]# lsacconfig.h   configure     Makefile.am    pixmapsaclocal.m4   configure.ac  Makefile.in    READMEautogen.sh   depcomp       missing        srcconfig.h.in  install-sh    mkinstalldirs  stamp-h.in[root@caroshell z42tool]# ./configurechecking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -cchecking whether build environment is sane... yeschecking for gawk... gawkchecking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yeschecking for style of include used by make... GNUchecking for gcc... gccchecking for C compiler default output... a.outchecking whether the C compiler works... yeschecking whether we are cross compiling... nochecking for suffix of executables...checking for suffix of object files... ochecking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yeschecking whether gcc accepts -g... yeschecking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none neededchecking dependency style of gcc... gcc3checking for strerror in -lcposix... nochecking for gcc... (cached) gccchecking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yeschecking whether gcc accepts -g... (cached) yeschecking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... (cached) none neededchecking dependency style of gcc... (cached) gcc3checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none neededchecking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -Echecking for egrep... grep -Echecking for ANSI C header files... yeschecking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... nochecking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-configchecking for GTK+ - version >= 2.0.0... yes (version 2.2.1)configure: creating ./config.statusconfig.status: creating Makefileconfig.status: creating src/Makefileconfig.status: creating config.hconfig.status: executing depfiles commands[root@caroshell z42tool]# makemake  all-recursivemake[1]: Entering directory `/home/shelley/drv_z42/z42tool'Making all in srcmake[2]: Entering directory `/home/shelley/drv_z42/z42tool/src'if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include      -g -O2 -Wall -MT main.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/main.Tpo" \  -c -o main.o `test -f 'main.c' || echo './'`main.c; \then mv -f ".deps/main.Tpo" ".deps/main.Po"; \else rm -f ".deps/main.Tpo"; exit 1; \fiif gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include      -g -O2 -Wall -MT support.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/support.Tpo" \  -c -o support.o `test -f 'support.c' || echo './'`support.c; \then mv -f ".deps/support.Tpo" ".deps/support.Po"; \else rm -f ".deps/support.Tpo"; exit 1; \fiif gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include      -g -O2 -Wall -MT interface.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/interface.Tpo" \  -c -o interface.o `test -f 'interface.c' || echo './'`interface.c; \then mv -f ".deps/interface.Tpo" ".deps/interface.Po"; \else rm -f ".deps/interface.Tpo"; exit 1; \fiif gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include      -g -O2 -Wall -MT z42tool.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/z42tool.Tpo" \  -c -o z42tool.o `test -f 'z42tool.c' || echo './'`z42tool.c; \then mv -f ".deps/z42tool.Tpo" ".deps/z42tool.Po"; \else rm -f ".deps/z42tool.Tpo"; exit 1; \figcc  -g -O2 -Wall   -o z42tool  main.o support.o interface.o z42tool.o -Wl,--export-dynamic -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangoxft-1.0 -lpangox-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/shelley/drv_z42/z42tool/src'make[2]: Entering directory `/home/shelley/drv_z42/z42tool'make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/shelley/drv_z42/z42tool'make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/shelley/drv_z42/z42tool'[root@caroshell z42tool]# make installMaking install in srcmake[1]: Entering directory `/home/shelley/drv_z42/z42tool/src'make[2]: Entering directory `/home/shelley/drv_z42/z42tool/src'/bin/sh ../mkinstalldirs /usr/local/bin  /usr/bin/install -c z42tool /usr/local/bin/z42toolmake[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/shelley/drv_z42/z42tool/src'make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/shelley/drv_z42/z42tool/src'make[1]: Entering directory `/home/shelley/drv_z42/z42tool'make[2]: Entering directory `/home/shelley/drv_z42/z42tool'make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.if test -d ./pixmaps; then \  /bin/sh ./mkinstalldirs /usr/local/share/z42tool/pixmaps; \  for pixmap in ./pixmaps/*; do \    if test -f $pixmap; then \      /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 $pixmap /usr/local/share/z42tool/pixmaps; \    fi \  done \fimkdir /usr/local/share/z42toolmkdir /usr/local/share/z42tool/pixmapsmake[2]: Leaving directory `/home/shelley/drv_z42/z42tool'make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/shelley/drv_z42/z42tool'[root@caroshell z42tool]#

It made for me so it should make ok for you. I'll check back in an hour or so...

Good Luck!

smile

Dan I tried this twice and got the same error

Password:

[root@01flht hollywood]# gunzip drv_z42-0.4.1.tar.gz

gunzip: drv_z42-0.4.1.tar.gz: No such file or directory

[root@01flht hollywood]# cd /home/hollywood/Software

[root@01flht Software]# gunzip drv_z42-0.4.1.tar.gz

[root@01flht Software]# tar xvf drv_z42-0.4.1.tar

drv_z42/

drv_z42/COPYING

drv_z42/ChangeLog

drv_z42/README

drv_z42/src/

drv_z42/src/z42_cmyk.c

drv_z42/z42tool/

drv_z42/z42tool/src/

drv_z42/z42tool/src/z42tool.c

drv_z42/z42tool/src/Makefile.in

drv_z42/z42tool/src/z42tool.h

drv_z42/z42tool/src/main.c

drv_z42/z42tool/src/Makefile.am

drv_z42/z42tool/src/support.h

drv_z42/z42tool/src/support.c

drv_z42/z42tool/src/interface.h

drv_z42/z42tool/src/interface.c

drv_z42/z42tool/README

drv_z42/z42tool/pixmaps/

drv_z42/z42tool/pixmaps/logo2.png

drv_z42/z42tool/install-sh

drv_z42/z42tool/autogen.sh

drv_z42/z42tool/configure.ac

drv_z42/z42tool/Makefile.am

drv_z42/z42tool/stamp-h.in

drv_z42/z42tool/acconfig.h

drv_z42/z42tool/aclocal.m4

drv_z42/z42tool/missing

drv_z42/z42tool/config.h.in

drv_z42/z42tool/mkinstalldirs

drv_z42/z42tool/Makefile.in

drv_z42/z42tool/configure

drv_z42/z42tool/depcomp

drv_z42/INSTALL

drv_z42/TODO

drv_z42/FAQ

[root@01flht Software]# cd drv_z42

[root@01flht drv_z42]# ls

ChangeLog COPYING FAQ INSTALL readme README src TODO z42tool

[root@01flht drv_z42]# cd z42tool/

[root@01flht z42tool]# ls

acconfig.h config.h.in depcomp Makefile.in pixmaps stamp-h.in

aclocal.m4 configure install-sh missing README

autogen.sh configure.ac Makefile.am mkinstalldirs src

[root@01flht z42tool]# ./configure

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c

checking whether build environment is sane... yes

checking for gawk... gawk

checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes

checking for style of include used by make... GNU

checking for gcc... no

checking for cc... no

checking for cc... no

checking for cl... no

configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

See `config.log' for more details.

[root@01flht z42tool]#

I had a hunch this might happen. I know you don't want to hear this, but you have to install the gcc compiler program to make this work. (Kinda like having to go to the hardware store to get the right tool to build a project! ;)).

The good news is, it really should be very easy to install. What distro are you using? When I know that, I can help you get it installed. I know this is frustrating for you, but just hang with it, you're doing great! You are going through a process that is giving you an extremely valuable education about how Linux works, that will make future undertakings MUCH easier! smile

I'm using BLAG its a multimedia version of Red Hat 9.

I really appreciate your patience with me. I've read manuals til I was blue in the face and some times you just need to be walked through stuff like this.

Thanks again for your time

Art 8)

Hey, my pleasure to help out a fellow RH 9 user! I highly reccommend that you install apt-get rpm, and this would be a good time to do it. You can install all the tools you need without dependancy problems. We can install the c compilers from it. Would you want to do that now? If interested, go here and download the first and third binary packages. Installation should give no problems. If you need help installing the RPM's let me know. Otherwise, after installing the two RPM's, open a terminal and as root type:

apt-get update [enter]

When it finishes, do the above again.

Then type:

apt-get install synaptic [enter]

after it finishes, type:

synaptic [enter]

The Synaptic gui should then come up. Type in...

gcc

in the search box in the upper right and press enter. Follow the intuitive gui instructions to install. You can install many apps for Red Hat 9 using this, and it will solve all dependency problems for you!

apt-get rpm is a big reason I moved from Mdk to RH!

If you don't want to fool with this right now, go here and download and install the gcc RPM. Let me know how you come out! smile

After I download the rpm when trying to install the box pops up reading preparing system for update then it disappears and nothing happens. This seems to happen alot. The funny thing is I have synaptic installed and when typing in gcc it shows nothing. So I tried to install it from a tar bal and I got has far tar xvf gcc-3.3.2 all of the items in there popped up in the terminal screen but I could not figure out how to install it. I did ./install-sh and /install-sh. Not sure if that was the correct thing to do or not. The big thing would be to get the rpm install to work I logged in as root then went to software dir. and changed the permissions for the rpm to 777 and it still did the same thing (preparing system for update) then nothing. ;(

Did you do:

apt-get update [enter]

from a command prompt as root twice? What happended? You should have seen it up[censored]. You can also update from Synaptic too. What happens when you try to update? You have to run Synaptic as root. Are you getting as far as seeing gcc in the file tree? If you are and it is stopping somewhere in the install process, you may need to power off your box, reboot and try again. Let me know..

Password:

[root@01flht hollywood]# apt-get update

Get:1 http://www.blagblagblag.org 9000/i386 release [925B]

Fetched 925B in 0s (1973B/s)

Hit http://www.blagblagblag.org 9000/i386/os pkglist

Hit http://www.blagblagblag.org 9000/i386/os release

Hit http://www.blagblagblag.org 9000/i386/updates pkglist

Hit http://www.blagblagblag.org 9000/i386/updates release

Get:1 http://www.blagblagblag.org 9000/i386/errata pkglist [50.7kB]

Hit http://www.blagblagblag.org 9000/i386/errata release

Fetched 50.7kB in 0s (52.8kB/s)

error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages

error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not permitted (1)

error: cannot open Packages database in

E: could not open RPM database

[root@01flht hollywood]#

This is what I get when doing a apt-get update. When I try synaptic and type in gcc and hit enter it does nothing like the package is not even there.

I'm not understanding this at all. I've installed apt-get many times and never run into this. What's happening here is it's acting like you are trying to run Synaptic/apt-get as regular user, but I can clearly see you became root before starting. That's really weird! Maybe your version of RH has some how changed the permissions in a strange way. All I know to do at this point is to ask you to try resetting the permissions on /var/lib/rpm/packages to the permissions mine is set to. As root go:

chmod 644 /var/lib/rpm /packages [enter]

Then:

chown rpm /var/lib/rpm/packages [enter]

Try that and see if it will then allow you to proceed. If not, let's just go ahead and download the gcc RPM and get your printer drivers installed and come back to this later. Sorry this is giving you trouble, but I can tell by your tenacity and determination you have what it takes to be a Linux user! Most would have given up at this point. smile

Your going to love this one ;( I logged in has root because nothing was making sense so here is what I came up with.

root@01flht root]# chmod 644 /var/lib/rpm /packages

chmod: failed to get attributes of `/packages': No such file or directory

[root@01flht root]# chown rpm /var/lib/rpm/packages

chown: failed to get attributes of `/var/lib/rpm/packages': No such file or directory

[root@01flht root]#

I also downloaded the rpm and then double clicked on the rpm icon for gcc. A box pops up and reads that it is preparing for system update / processing headers then reading package dependecies. The box then disappears and nothing happens. I also tried synaptic again but when I type in gcc and hit enter it shows nothing. I went into red carpet and checked for updates on installed and availabe software the only thing that comes up in red carpet is a package called libgcc 3.2.2-5 I then tried to install the driver again as above thinking that I had the correct dependecies. and it stopped as before stating thjat no compiler was in the path.

I really apprecaited the help. Because I am more determined to get this now more then ever

8)

I also cd /var/lib/rpm/packages when changing permissions to no avail. I also went into the directory manually and checked the permissions and they were set at 644 I tried again nothing I then changed to777 and still zip. :x

Oh, no! I didn't know you were running red carpet! I guess I should have asked! There can be issues when running RC and apt-get rpm on the same box! Please tell me you're not running Ximian desktop 2 ??

At any rate, you can install the gcc rpm from the command line.

cd to the directory where the gcc rpm is and type:

rpm -Uvh gcc-yadaydawhatever.rpm [enter]

That should install it. I hope it doesn't complain of any depends..

As for Synaptic/apt-get...let me think on it a little..

Dang it! Just looking back over everything, I noticed I screwed up, and told you the commands with a small 'p' in Packages! Sorry, I was in a hurry to get to the grocery store. That's why it kept telling you there was no file or directory. Unlike Windows, Linux is case sensitive. Double check to make sure you have the right case in case I do that again.... frown

So, /var/lib/rpm/Packages is there but when you try to update apt as root, you get:

error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages

It may have something to do with rc, but it's got me stumped! Any luck installing the gcc rpm?

checking for gcc... gcc

checking for C compiler default output... a.out

checking whether the C compiler works... yes

checking whether we are cross compiling... no

checking for suffix of executables...

checking for suffix of object files... o

checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes

checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes

checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none needed

checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3

checking for strerror in -lcposix... no

checking for gcc... (cached) gcc

checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes

checking whether gcc accepts -g... (cached) yes

checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... (cached) none needed

checking dependency style of gcc... (cached) gcc3

checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E

checking for egrep... grep -E

checking for ANSI C header files... yes

checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no

checking for pkg-config... no

checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.0.0... no

*** A new enough version of pkg-config was not found.

*** See http://pkgconfig.sourceforge.net

configure: error: Cannot find GTK: Is gtk-config in path?

[root@01flht z42tool]# n

bash: n: command not found

checking for gcc... gcc

checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config

*** Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why...

*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the

*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK+ is incorrectly installed.

[root@01flht z42tool]# cd /home/hollywood/Software

[root@01flht Software]# rpm-Uvh gtkhtml2-2.2.0-5.i386.rpm

bash: rpm-Uvh: command not found

[root@01flht Software]# rpm -Uvh gtkhtml2-2.2.0-5.i386.rpm

warning: gtkhtml2-2.2.0-5.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e

Preparing... ########################################### [100%]

package gtkhtml2-2.2.0-5 is already installed

[root@01flht Software]# rpm -Uvh gtk2-2.2.1-4.i386.rpm

warning: gtk2-2.2.1-4.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e

Preparing... ########################################### [100%]

package gtk2-2.2.1-4 is already installed

[root@01flht Software]#

As you can see I'm getting there. This is just the last bit of what I ahve been doing.

But quess what it needs something else

laugh

Should I get rid of the red carpet deal??? I have to tell you I have learned more about linux in the last 2-3 days then in the last year I can not tell you how much I apprecaite your patience with me on this. When reading in a manual or getting other advise it has never been explained the way you have

Thank you

I would think from what we have done so far I'm one step from getting this driver installed

You've been fooling with Linux for a year!!?? Wow!! You DO have tenacity!! smile

Yes, you are definitely getting there! These things you are doing that seem so incredibly difficult now, will come to you as second nature later on! Trust me! All I ask is that when you become a lower medium level Linux user like I am, that you have the patience to help some new guy who doesn't know how to become root! wink

Here's the thing about rc. Yes, it is good if you choose not to run apt-get rpm, but after all it is Ximian whereas apt-get RPM is solidly red hat. You can not only install rpm's with apt-get/Synaptic and it takes care of the dependency problems, but you can also keep your system up-to-date just by doing a "update list"---"upgrade all" about every week or so. In other words, apt-get will do everything you need done to keep your RH up to date, as well as RC, but the difference is being able to install RH specific packages without hassle. The choice is yours of course.. Here's pkgconfig.

[root@01flht z42tool]# rpm -Uvh pkgconfig-0.14.0-3.i386.rpm

error: open of pkgconfig-0.14.0-3.i386.rpm failed: No such file or directory

[root@01flht z42tool]# rpm -Uvh pkgconfig-0.14.0-3.i386.rpm

error: open of pkgconfig-0.14.0-3.i386.rpm failed: No such file or directory

[root@01flht z42tool]#

[root@01flht z42tool]#

Dapper this is what I get from the terminal but if I try to install the package by double clicking the icon it says that the package is already installed. Is there a way around this. If I'm understanding this package it is for help on installing or running a GUI package. Since all is I want is to install a driver I shouldn't need the pkgconfig anyway's correct?? ;(

Or am I missing something here :x

Oops, I'm sorry, I missed this latest post of yours until now. I didn't mean to ignore you..

Try:

rpm -ivh pkgconfig-0.14.0-3.i386.rpm [enter]

And you are attempting to install pkgconfig rpm from the same directory where you downloaded it to?

...apt-get could sure get all this squared away in a hurry...

Sorry myself I worked throught he last error message. This is what I get now when I go try and install it it say's that the package is already installed??? I updated synaptic and tried again with the same results.

checking for gcc... gcc

[root@01flht z42tool]#

When looking in synaptic for the gtk-config package it is not listed but when I download the rpm and install it it tells me that it is already installed.

When serching synaptic for GTK+ it shows this package gtk+devel which is installed.

At the end of the error it reads Is gtk-config in path? how do I check for that?

Glad you came back I thought I scared you away laugh

If I'm reading the error correctly, I'ts looking for a later version of GTK. Check and see if gtk2 is listed in your synaptic tree as being installed. If not, install it and try again. In fact, I would install gtk2-devel and anything listed that has a "gtk2" in it.

I ran into similar problems trying to install Icepref in redhat 9. I'm sorry to say I could never find a satisfactory answer for my problem. Maybe we'll be luckier and find a solution for yours. wink