Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BaronX

Need advices on installing Whistler

I've got a problem here and would appreciate all comments, advices or help. I am about to install Whistler but I've got two choices: Build 2250 or Build 2257.

1- I noticed that build 2250 is named PRO EDITION and on 2257, PERSONAL EDITION. Are there any differences between the two (other than the fact that one is more recent than the other)? Wich one is better?

2-On my server comp, I am dual booting on WinME and Win2000. Wich OS should I use to intall Whistler to avoid complications? Is it possible to have a "triple booting"?

3-Will it be easier if I made a complete clean install (meaning a full hardisk format)?

Any suggestions or points before the install are welcome! Thanks!!!

Forgot to post my specs...

BTW, on my network, I have a Duron 700 and PII350 running Win98SE, and a P166mmx running Win98.

------------------

BaronX

Dual Celeron 400 @ 450

BP6 160mb pc100

13.6 gig Fuji 7200rpm

HP 7200e

SBlive Value (Have also a Yamaha if there's gonna some trouble with the SB)

nVidia TNT2 32mb AGP

Two Ethernet cards for the proxy.

Bye jdulmage I told one to min time stopping where to get Whistler or any anything eles

[This message has been edited by SHS (edited 21 October 2000).]

Quote:
Originally posted by jdulmage:
Bye jdulmage I told one to min time stopping where to get Whistler or any anything eles [This message has been edited by SHS (edited 21 October 2000).]

confusedconfusedconfusedconfused

Surf-drinkin' are we? 8)

1- I noticed that build 2250 is named PRO EDITION and on 2257, PERSONAL EDITION. Are there any differences between the two (other than the fact that one is more recent than the other)? Wich one is better?

"There are different versions of Whistler. Personal,Pro,Server,Advanced Server". Personal is for home users so it will be more newbiesh and probably more cripple than Pro.

2-On my server comp, I am dual booting on WinME and Win2000. Wich OS should I use to intall Whistler to avoid complications? Is it possible to have a "triple booting"?

"Boot from the CD"

3-Will it be easier if I made a complete clean install (meaning a full hardisk format)?

"It always is....." smile

AS I am typing, I am on Whistler OS. I want to thank everyone that gave me some advice (especially jdulmage, that provided me some quite good infos b4 it got edited). It seems that my 160 megs is not enough; I would say personally that 256 megs of ram is a minimum to get back to the Win2000 feeling. Another strange thing is the desktop, kinda have a empty desk feeling: where did they hide "My Computer, My Network, My Docs" to? I was so used to them! It tooked a few click before finding it.

So far, it looks pretty stable and it did detect my dual CPUs; I wasn't sure until I performed a hardware check. Ran the defrag apps while surfing in the net and it didn't jam but it a bit "laggier" than Win2000. Still have some small issues with hardware like back when I installed Win2000. Hope that Win2000 drivers would work again on Whistler.

Maybe I would migrate to Whistler later on(when I can get a hand on the beta 1) but as for now, I will keep my tri-booting.

Has anyone use the alphas as their main OS? And if yes, any conflicts encountered yet?

Quote:
Originally posted by jdulmage:
Bye jdulmage I told one to min time stopping where to get Whistler or any anything eles
[This message has been edited by SHS (edited 21 October 2000).]

Well, apparently, SHS banned JDulmage for this, blocked his IP and everything. It's a strange world we live in...
"The Internet will bring people from around the world together."
But it won't make them play nice with each other...

-bZj

[This message has been edited by Down8 (edited 21 October 2000).]

jdmulage was warned on a number of occasions about offering w*r*z and didn't appear to get the message.

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

PIII 650@850

BE6-II Mobo with 192 mb ram

20 gig Quantum KX 8 gig Quantum CR

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

... and a bunch of USB Stuff

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

I wouldn't overreact on that because jdulmage can always register under another nickname.

not if his ip is banned and he has static.... wink

maybe there is a way...

[This message has been edited by dsp (edited 22 October 2000).]

... not if a block of ip's are blocked (i.e. 63.246.234.*)

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

PIII 650@850

BE6-II Mobo with 192 mb ram

20 gig Quantum KX 8 gig Quantum CR

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

... and a bunch of USB Stuff

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

Can you say: 'proxy server'?

[edit]

Hm. It seems SpaceProxy is down. hope they come back up.

[/edit]

-bZj

[This message has been edited by Down8 (edited 22 October 2000).]

i have installed 2250 and 2257, when i tried to install 2250, it kept locking up during setup until i removed some legacy devices, when i installed 2257, i didn't get any lockups, go ahead and install 2257 or later.

Eddie- Are you saying that you are booting with PRO 2250 and Personal 2257. What the use?

For those with 2267, did you guys needed to reformat the hard disk to delete the older build? As I recall, there aren't any uninstall setup for the Whistler alpha's! mad

Welcome back jdulmage :P

[This message has been edited by felix (edited 23 October 2000).]