Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

Which OS is better?

Out Of Win98 original, Second edition and WinME. Which is the best OS to use? Just curious

Truthfully, yep, I agree with Falcon, Windows 2000, but seeing this is a Win9x forum, I prefer Win98/se over that pile of rubbish that calls itself Windows ME... it stinks.

Homer laugh

Well I have win2000 on my system now and I love it but it is very sluggish because my HD is slow. My system is a Celeron 2 566 @952 192 megs pc100 etc but has a 8.4 Western Digital HD which is 5400 rpm. Thats why im contemplating switching to one of the Win9x's until I get a new faster HD

Well lets see, Win95C in one word Sucks. I hope you don't have any USB devices on your system because win95C sucks at doing USB. You can get a 7200 RPM 20 GIG HD by either Qauntum or Maxtor for about $120, in my local paper today Fry's has a 20 gig Qauntum running at 7200 RPM for $115, not bad. If your going to invest, don't bother wasting your money on Win95 look towards the future and get a new HD and run the best OS on the Planet, why settle for a Yugo when you can have a ferrari :-)

Falcon26

its all a matter of personal preference, out of the win9x os's, i pick Win98FE and WinME, out of the WinNT's I pick Win NT5 (2000). but don't agree or disagree with me, like i said, its personal preference, sorta like Pepsi or Coke....or Chevy or Ford....or Bush or Gore... See what I mean?

Win2k Pro IS the best, it's A LOT faster and has a lot more features. Also, WinME is the biggest piece of c!@#p i've ever seen! i mean userfriendly is something, powerless junk is another! As for the older Wins, they're ok, but old and slow and are not compatible.

Just one bad thing about Win2k, it has a few bugs (compatiblity), but if u have an ok system, definately upgrade

wow...take it easy....lol, for one thing, I am running Windows Me and it's running fine here and I see no reason to upgrade......YET.

I mean, I could go into Windows 2000 only to see that the boot time is slower (not that I care), it ain't has compatibility (my games would work anyways) and to see that Creative's support for my SB 128 PCI is next to none (there goes a perfectly good subwoofer system without the Tone Controls that I have in Millennium). All in All, I see no problem with it...but I am upgrading, once I get my SB Live!, cuz I was told that it has the proper Tone Controls B*** (Base, because it'll be censored) and Treble. So I dual boot.

[ December 30, 2000: Message edited by: jdulmage ]

I happen to think that Win 98 SE is the best o/s of the Win 9x series, works like a dream for me on my system.

I didhave Win2K installed, I probably will putiback in aghain soon but for now Win 98 SE will do just fine.

Behemoth

------------------

------

My Computer

Atlon K7 550

Gigabyte 71XE MB

192 Megs of RAM

20 gig Samsung Hard Drive

16 Meg Voodoo 3 2000 AGP

50X CDROM

4x CDR SCSI Drive

Adaptec PCI SCSI Controller

Sound Blaster Live 256!

Here's my take...

Win 2000 is strong at stability, but not so good at compatibility. Win 9x is vice versa.

I used to hate Win 9x after switching to NT/2000. Only until, recently did I come to appreciate the compatibility of Win 98.

For me there is, no point in using 98 SE or ME if Win 98 works for what I need and Win 2000 is ready to go.

[This message has been edited by Impala SS (edited 05 January 2001).]

In my preference once you get all the bugs worked out with "windows Me" you will it can be a stable operating system / the only thing is that more company need to make there programs more compatible with "Windows Me"

But I think EddiE314 said it best when he said it is personal preference"it is what it is"

more compatible with winME?? if it worked in 98 it works in winME it is all 9x CRAP!!!!! i have tried it all, but yes persoanl preference is all that matters, as well it also depends what u use your computer for! (even though win 2k can do everything winME and a TON more :D) but that is just my opinion

------------------

=========================

ICQ me!!!

========Specs========

ASUS P3V4X

VARIOUS O/C SETTINGS

PIII 533 @ 640 133fsb

PIII 533 @ 584 150fsb

384mb PC133

20gIBM 7200 rpm

40g MAxtor 7200rpm

Sound Blaster LIVE!!! Platinum

ATI All-In-Wonder 128 32mb 2x Agp

19'Samsung SyncMaster 950p

Logitech Wireless keyboard/Mouse

Creative 52x cdrom

Richo CD-R/RW MP7040a 4/4/32

Epson Stylus colour 760

Cable modem

and i networked with a MAC G3, now sharing printer/hardrives and internet.

WOW, aren't i special now laugh

AND iT ALL WORKS GRRRREAT!!!'

Yep, the basic jist of things here is that win2k is the best, and yep i agree too.

I wonder if you have win2k running on NTFS cos alot of ppl have had progressive slow down against ppl using FAT32 unless they have large (and when i say large i mean VERY large) partitions.

I do alot of bench testing in my line of work (and home) and I've found Win98SE to be the fastest (although in my case Win ME booted faster) and most Stable. And this certainly seems to be the case with custom-built or clone PC's. You'll prolly find that Win Me will run almost equally good as Win98 SE on branded PC's such as Gateway and Dell.

But like ther other guy....it's my experience matie laugh

Out of the whole M$ range, Win2K Pro is definitely the best and most stable opsys I've EVER used....

...but as we're talkin about the 9x line here, then Win98 (First Edition) would be my 2nd preference - I've tried SE (twice) but it doesnt seem to like my CD-Writer (Sony CRX-100E) and I lost several blank CDs due to unexplained lockups when I had it on the system.

I used to have my system dual-booted with 98 and 2K, but I've recently realised that I almost NEVER use 98 anymore (all the apps and games I play/use regularly all work fine under 2K - especially since the 6.62 WHQL Nvidia drivers came out) so I reformatted the drive and am now running Win2K Pro in NTFS...so far so good!