Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
navstar11

Problem in Win98

In Dxdiag, Msinfo and Internet Explorer I get garbled text. I have put a picture showing what I mean. in that photo I copyed the garbled text and pasted it into notepad. It magically became legible. Does anyone know why it does this?!?

examplegarbled.gif

I've seen this happen before, but a quick restart always fixed it.

-bZj

[This message has been edited by Down8 (edited 27 December 2000).]

The same thing happened to me when I installed Japanese language support under Windows 2000 (US-English). Some programs would display the garbled text, but would properly display the characters in some other program. Go to Control Panel-->

Regional Settings and make sure the correct language is checked. Under Outlook or IE go to View-->Encoding-->More and try the different options that encode the Japanese

language correctly.

Make sure you are at a Japanese web site so you can be sure which method will correctly the language. Are you using a Japanese version of Windows or did you enable J-language on an foreign version of Win?

I am running a Windows 98 Japanese. Everything is set correctly, I contacted Microsoft and they have had no luck either. I think Internet Explorer 5x causes it but I don't see how it could..

I think I.E 5.x is the cause, as well. Remember, the IE shell is intergrated into Win 98. It could be that the upgrade to I.E 5.x from I.E 4.x is the cause of the possible corruption of the text.

I have figured the problem, if the IME98 is not on text displays incorrectly in ie. Somehow when installing DX8 or IE5x this becomes needed. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me, excpet Vampyr whose comment i disliked. Thank you others for the help.