Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nuckfut

Networking and a DSL

Hi guys, I'm new -- fell free to taunt me about being a newbie smile

I've got a serious question though. I'm upgrading my main computer to an Athlon 1ghz machine and am planning on networking it to my current computer (I run Win 98 Second Edition on both currently). We also have a 640k DSL through Qwest that runs through our phone line.

I was wondering if there's a way to set up the network so that both computers can use the DSL connection at the same time (yes I realize that they would run at half speed). If that isn't actually possible, would it be possible to set the network up so I would have both computers able to use the DSL but only 1 at a time? I'd prefer not having to buy 2 DSL modems too. Would this require a third computer that would stay connected and the other 2 would leech off that connection or something? I'm really not sure how this whole thing would work. I'd appreciate responses as this is pretty urgent and I'm quite excited about it smile

Thanks *so* much.

-Chris

Welcome to broadband networking, and the board.

Do you have an internal DSL modem? if so, you will probably need to grab two NICs [Network Interface Cards], one for each machine, and a cross-over cable from a local store. I believe Win98 has ICS [internet Connection Sharing] built in, so you just need to set it up [look around Microsoft.com for instructions]. Set your faster computer up as the host [the one with the DSL modem], as it will take some resources to share the connection.

An easier way, from mt point of view, is to have an external DSL modem, and run it into a hub, which both computers can hook into with their own NICs.

Oh, your connection won't be split between the two computers - unless they are both pulling 320k. Each one will have the line to itself if the other isn't D/Ling.

I'm sure other people will be able to give answers in more detail...

-bZj

...well...hooking up two computers to a hub will mean only one can be connected at a time, unless you plan on stealing IPz. What i did, i made a router. DSL>ROUTER>HUB>TO 2 CPUS ... that is the best way to do it. YOu can get residencial gateways or use an old box for linux, or get 3 nics, hook 2 up in 1 cpu (1 for in and 1 for out to other cpu) and enable inet sharing....thats gay though...

Thanks for your quick response! Yes, sadly it does happen to be an internal DSL modem, so I'll probably have to opt for your first choice. It'd be much nicer though if I could somehow use the internal modem for the second method you listed wink. Anyone have any other ideas? And thanks so much again for your quick response smile

Crazy, sorry, you must have hit the submit button before me smile

So what you're basically saying is throw together an older computer (yes, that is an option for me :)) and hook the dsl directly to that. Have a NIC in that and then have that run into the hub. Then have the other 2 computers I want to both have simulaneous access to the DSL have NICs and run those into the hub too? That definately sounds doable, especially since we have an old Compaq running Win 95 lying around -- Should that work?

Thanks so much, again smile

-Chris

Crazy is right, I forgot that I do have a router hooked into my switch. If you throw Linux [assuming you don't have Win2K (I don't know of any clients off hand that would run on Win95)] on to that old machine, you can set it up as a DHCP type server, so your 2 other computers would get a new IP as they logged onto the old computer. Of course, you may be able to buy an extra IP from your ISP [i have 8 for my network], solving the issue with the second option I mentioned.

-bZj

that compaq should be sweet.....i havea 386sx running my router and its really cool, cept the firewall is gay. YOu could prob install full linux on that machine, it would be sweet....btw you need 4 nics for that, 2 for router, 1 for each cpu, a hub and some cable. Im not really sure how to make a linux router anymroe out of a new machine (with mine i ripped everything out, put in 2 isa network cards and runa disk from 3 1/2, no HD :P)

Yeah, the Compaq seems pretty decent for a router, the only problem is I know NOTHING about Linux :P Just a few basic commands and the such. I do own a copy of Redhat 6.1, could anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial or even explain how I would go about setting it up as a DHCP Server? I'm completely lost with anything like that. I have no experience with anything Linux. And crazy, could you expand on that thought about 4 nics? I am not understanding why I would need 2 for the Router... Thanks!!

4 nics....2 in router....one into router from dsl line, then one out to hub, then fromthere one to each cpu. I really have no idea about linux...new stuff anyways. I just run a disk that I formatted and stick in the drive, it configures it all (all i had to do was look to find IP settings, gateway settings and local gateways)

I can set up a Linux router disk for you if you would like. I did crazykiller's linux router. All you'll need is a minimum of 12mb of ram in the router and two ISA ethernet NICs (Kingston KNE20 series). All i need from you is your tcp/ip settings. and also whether your router has an FPU or not.

Thanks for all your help. Vampyre, that would be great. I'll post back in this thread when I get my new computer completely built. Might be a week or two still. If I can't get back to you, thanks for the offer smile Thanks again for all the help.

-Chris

Since this is an internal DSL modem all you need is a lan card on both machines connected through a hub and either router software like Wingate or you should be able to specify an internal IP address for both PCs and on the one which has the modem just enable internet connection sharing.

------------------

Frank

A+, Windows 98 and NT MCP