Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Maillion

I'm starting over...

OK, I had some problems: My bootloader failed, and nothing that I tried to install seems to be able to replace the bad bootloader. frown

I have deleted everything and will soon reinstall Windows on a fresh ten gig hard drive (Maxtor ATA). smile

I will then divide my 40 gig hard drive (Maxtor ATA) into two partitions, one at ten gigs, the other with all the remaining space. I will install Linux on the ten gig partition, and put the bootloader on this partition so that it will set a new bootloader. The remaining space will be a Windows fat32 partition so that I can use both OS's to access the data I store there. wink

I want to learn Linux, so I don't really need all the problems I have had in the past year or so. (Most have been due to installations.) Will you guys help me out? 8)

I don't want to compile anything right now – maybe a year or two down the road, but not now. x)

I need a fullly functional installation program. 8)

I need at least graphic based programs, development programs, game programs, audio programs, CD programs, internet access programs, and lots of documentation. 8)

I also need some gui window managers (as many as possible so that I can check them out). 8)

What distro will have as much of the above? (It has to install correctly and create a dual boot system.) ;(

Thanks loads!

Maillion

Sounds like a perfect match between you and Mandrake 9.0, although with RH 9 you get apt-get-rpm. wink

I had to do many installs before I came up with a combination that I felt comfortable with. I think it just goes with the territory..

Quote:
I want to learn Linux, so I don't really need all the problems I have had in the past year or so. (Most have been due to installations.) Will you guys help me out?

sure will

Quote:
I don't want to compile anything right now – maybe a year or two down the road, but not now

get red hat 9, u have to compile just few things and that is according to ur requirements depending upon what u want ur computer to do for u, otherwise its not necessary.

Quote:
I need a fullly functional installation program

sure red hat 9 gives that.

Quote:
I need at least graphic based programs, development programs, game programs, audio programs, CD programs, internet access programs, and lots of documentation

u install red hat 9, u get graphical based development programs (software development, web development, then there is GIMP, a thing like adobe photoshop for images and graphics creation). u get graphical based audioprograms to run audio cds plus xmms, a thing like winamp for mp3 files. in internet access programs u get kppp to dialout then there r lots of internet browsers (i use mozilla firebird), programs for chat and etc. for documentation, www.google.com is always there incase if u dont find anything on linux documentation sites wink

Quote:
I also need some gui window managers (as many as possible so that I can check them out

yep u get the windows managers to browse around ur data/hard drive. same as u get windows explorer in windows or when u double click my computer and get a window manager to browse around.

Quote:
What distro will have as much of the above? (It has to install correctly and create a dual boot system.)

sure red hat 9 includes it all

I installed RH9 like outstream said and i love it, it is my first install of linux and it is awesome, i couldnt ask for anything better, if you install all of the packages you get like 3 or 4 browsers, about 2 or more things for anything you could possibly wanna do and you dont have to pay 600 dollars for it smile to bad RH is canceling free updates frown

good luck

Well, I was using Mandrake 9.0 because I couldn't get Red Hat 9.0 to install. I suppose I will try again. (I do have Mandrake 9.2 on discs.) I will have to redownload Red Hat 9.0. Is there any major difference between it and Fedora core? 8)

RH 9 is not putting you on the outside of the cutting edge like Fedora, so you can count on it being more predictable. I will go to Fedora, but not now. There are things to work out with it, so I'll wait a few more months and do an apt-get dist upgrade. RH 9 is doing everything I want Linux to do for now, so I'm a happy puppy.. smile

Thanks to all of you - I'm gonna give Red Hat one more try - if it works this time, I will wait a few months or so to try Fedora. If Red Hat doesn't work, I will try Mandrake 9.2 (already got the discs). If none ofe these two work, I will go back to Mandrake 9.0 - assuming I can find the iso's... 8)

I tried all kinds of things and I finally got something that works! 8)

I used a Morphix LiveCD, installed it to hard disk and did an apt-get update then upgrade. As far as I can tell, I now have Debian! Is there any way fairly simple to change the login screen to replace the Morphix one to a Debian screen? I can't find the way in the KDE menu to put the display of the four desktops on the panel. I need to find the posts that tell how to set up my fstab and/or mtab so that I can access my fat32 disk. I'm working on it! (I need to get back to learning Vi...) :x