Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jabird

internet ahhh....

I have a U.S. Robotics 56k voice PCI modem... i cannot figure out how to install my modem, open the needed ports, and set up my internet connection frown...

plz help i have been banging my head against the wall since this morning O.o

Jabird

:x

[edit] I have Redhat version 9 [/edit]

The issue is if it is a winmodem (designed to work in Windows only) or compatible with Linux (hardware modem). What exact model is it?

This is a common issue since many current modems are winmodems. However, there has been progress with some so called softmodems.

Ya I just realized that it is a Winmodem so I guess I will have to go out and get another linux compatible modem frown....

thanks for the help though

thanks,

jabird

Quote:
Ya I just realized that it is a Winmodem so I guess I will have to go out and get another linux compatible modem

well yeah, u shuld get a hardware modem or an external modem, both`ll do the job. if u r running out of money and dont feel like buying another modem, just try to search on net for ur current modem`s drivers for linux.if u find them and they work, its ok u can still pass some time online with same modem.

incase if u have already planned to get another modem get an external one, if u think external modems are a bit expernsive, then get an ISA pnp hardware modem, that modem rocks believe me. but before u just actually go and buy it, first check in ur motherboard that u do have a free ISA slot available there. saying this cuz mostly new motherboards dont have ISA slots in em.

good luck

alright, thanks alot, i wasnt sure if a regular hardware modm would do the job or if i should get an external... what is better about the external modem you will talking about? does it just hold a connection better or does it connect faster? i just wanna know if it is worth it because in a few months to a year i could be getting a wireless internet connection yay 256k/sec

so should i get a cheepo modem till i get the wireless internet because it could be a year or over before i get it, or should i invest in the external modem and be more happy with it?

thanks for the help again

If you but one at a local computer store, make sure that it does not say "winmodem" on the box. Look for one that has a linux compatible notice on it. External modems are hard modems and work very well in all linux distos.

If you are unsure, ask the salesperson. That way, if it turns out (I hope not) incompatible, you can take it back.

Be aware, most "cheapo" modems are winmodems. Ask or look on the box to determine if it has it's own controller built in.

You can get a 56k v90 modem for your system for about 20 to 35 US dollars. Just be sure that it says v90 not "Winmodem". 8)

They aren't cheap, but if you want a 56k modem that will work with Linux, also consider Actiontec. Their v92 call waiting external serial modem works flawlessly right out of the box.

I had reasonable success with a cheap USB modem (SmartLink SmartUSB56) from ebuyer. In the UK it cost me £15 and had Linux drivers available on the manufacturers web site - took a little time to set up (had to configure, make, make install.) But it worked well, the only reason I don't use it now is the twinkling ADSL modem tucked away under the desk.

well actually,talking with reference to new technology, its really easy to differentiate one...

mostly winmodems come for PCI slot. the little white slot in which u plug-in ur sound card, tv card etc (mostly sound cards also come built-in into motherboards now, but just to give an idea what PCI slot really is)

i havent heard of anyone saying they have bought a NEW ISA hardware modem. so its more likely that u`ll get some second hand hardware modem. a hardware modem plugs into ISA slot. it is a rather bigger slot than PCI slot. mostly found in older motherboards. not very old OLD. just like ummm i guess 2 to3 years old. when i bought intel 440-bx/2 motherboard like 3 years back, it had ISA slot in it.another differentiation of a hardware modem is, it has its own data/signal processor on it. a big black circle thing u can easily see. thats y hardware modems are FASTER than PCI winmodems.A winmodem takes ur processor to process signals and data, thus ending up in slow speed while a hardware modem has its own built-in processor. forexample a 33.6k hardware modem works more efficiently and faster than 56k PCI winmodem.

so if u want to buy a hardware modem. it`ll be cheap than a new winmodem. but be sure to check that u have ISA slot in ur motherboard and then ask the computer guy that u need ISA pnp hardware modem. i tried the one from US robotics and it was a ride to remember on internet.

alright guys thanks alot,

good news smile i got linux up on the internet yay (thats what i am using to post this yay) it turns out i told you wrong, i have a US Robotics 56k oem modem and it works perfectly on linux, didnt even have to find drivers for it! just went to the network place hit new>next>next> set up stuff> next> restart> get on the internet! almost as easy as windoze!

i love linux and will never go back to windoze!!!

thanks alot

Jabird