Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wozzeck

WinME upgrade to Win2000

Is it possible to use an OEM version of WinME as the "qualifying software" for an update to Win2000? I read somewhere in this forum that some type of patch is available, but I searched Microsoft.com and can't find it, and now I can't find the post here that mentioned it. What I want to do is start with a 2 partitions, install the OEM WinME and then install the upgrade win2000 to the other partition. I hope that my question is clear and I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. Any ideas?

I'd liek to know this too, as I have a legal copy of WinME, and I would like to be able to say the same for Win2K ;), but don't have an extra $300 lying around.

-bZj

[This message has been edited by Down8 (edited 24 September 2000).]

Quote:
Originally posted by wozzeck:
Is it possible to use an OEM version of WinME as the "qualifying software" for an update to Win2000?

Brief answer, "no."

From what I understand, (and who knows, I may be wrong), Win98 or WinNT is what is expected as, "qualifying software" for the upgrade version of Windows 2000 Professional. Unfortunately, I've had no experience (but maybe someone here has) with the OEM verion of WinME.

IMHO, if you're successfully running Win2K, there's no reason to waste your time with WinME. It was fun to play around with when I installed it to my wife's notebook, but that's about all it was.

Personally, I used an old Win98 disc to qualify for it, since the install program had a problem recognizing WinNT 4.0 from an old MSDN disc, so I know it's possible.

You've got the install order right though; Win9x(ME) first, THEN Win2K in a separate partition. smile

Have fun. smile

------------------
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935

[This message has been edited by DeadCats (edited 24 September 2000).]

Who'd want to upgrade Win 2K with Win ME anyway ??

The only thing that annouys me about Win 2K is the lack of gaming support and I do allot of games editing like making addons etc I'm thinking of going back to just having Win 98 on my system as I'm getting tired of booting out of one o/s and into another if I want to play some games.

Might get hold of Win ME and see what thats like, a friend of mine has it and his coment was

"kinda looks and feels like the love child of WIN2K and Win98 ;p"

Make of it what you will.

------------------

------

My Computer

Pentium II 350

Gigabyte 6BXC M/B

16 meg Voodoo 3 2000 AGP

128 Meg of RAM

18 gig Western Digital Expert HDD UDMA 66

Sound Blaster Live ! 256

56k Modula Tech V90 USB modem

4 x SCSI writer

Advansys Host SCSI controller

Thanks for the responses. I certainly know that Win2000 is the way to go, but I'd like to have the 98 codebase available to play older games. I guess I'm stuck.