Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
souridaijin

Clean install from upgrade?

I'd like to do a clean install but my Compaq only came with a system backup disk. What can I do? I also have an upgrade version of Win 98 2nd edition if that helps.

i can remember exactly how to do it, i know i've seen someone answer that question on here before, but be aware that if you do a clean install that your little Compaq buttons for your comp. won't work, also your modem may not work, i know mine didn't on my old Compaq that came with win95, i clean installed win98 (4.10.1998) and the modem wouldn't work anymore...oh well.

I don't care about any of the Compaq crap. I'm already running off of a clean install of Windows 98. I've already taken out the modem, using a cable modem now, no 3rd party software involved. The only full version disc I own is Windows 2000 (stupid incompatibility with my Compaq's BIOS keeps my GeForce from working.)

I hope you learned your lesson. If you want a computer for more hten e-mail DON'T get Compaq smile or HP.. or most of the brand names....

Compaqs are good if you are a beginner and never want to upgrade it. Other than that, build your own, its not that hard man, many many many people can tell you. Soory i couldn't help you with the upgrade question, i'm sure someone can help you.