Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
outstream

irc client for linux

hi all

im an old windows user, but i started using linux like 4 months back. works fine for me. my little problem is that most of my time passes on mirc, using it from a long time.

right now in linux i am using 'xchat' as an irc client, but im not satisfied with its appearence/gui. i am looking for some cool irc client in linux, which atleast looks a bit similar or the original mIRC in windows.

if any body has experience some cool irc client in linux, please do share it with us all.

Thanks!

XChat's probably the best you're going to find among graphical client. If you're interested in text clients then Irssis's probably your best bet. Neither look and work exactly like mIRC but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you really want to use mIRC in Linux you could try running it with Wine.

hii

yeah, could use it thru wine but that way the *thrill* of using linux dies i think, nothing new, same looks, same exe file, no adventure of binary files, prolly i aint making any sense here..well i think if there doesnt exist any such thing which has a better gui than xchat, then prolly i have to code one out for all those irc lovers out there :Plaugh

I couldn't stand X-Chat's GUI either, but then I turned off the menu bar, topic bar, (right click in background) hid the user list (drag it out of the way), and made the background transparent (somewhere in options of /set command). Then it looked pretty good.

Personally I settled for irssi, a text mode client. Lightweight and looks nice in a transparent aterm window. Why do I need a GUI for a text based task ;-) Given, that's only 'cause I'd learned all the IRC commands...

Anyway, I think you should be happy with X-Chat once you slim down all the GUI crap.

yeah i`ve changed the GUI as much as i could, to make it look like mIRC. i downloaded the latest version of xchat, there they have provided with this 'easy to understand' color palette, which lets u change background,foreground,text color,nick colors,user list appearence,tabs appearence...all in just a couple of clicks. i think its pretty acceptable. the progress is still on the way.