Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
viper_soft

WINE

help.. basically all i know how to do is install the programs i dont' knwo how to run them!! lol.. i feel stup!d can someone give me an idea how to use wine. if winex is better could someone post a link to download it

thanks in advanced viper

It all depends on which apps or programs you are wanting to run. There are different "flavors" of wine. smile For office type apps, see Crossover/Codeweavers. For gaming, see Transgaming.com who develops Winex3. Regular old wine that you can download, and that comes with many distros, will run some applications, but I've not experimented with it enough to know which ones. Only regular wine is free, (as in "free beer.") wink

I will try. What distro and version are you using..RedHat, Debian, SuSE?

Did you install wine from source, or is it pre-installed in the distro? This does make a difference.

As Dapper Dan said, Codeweavers is probably the easiest, but it is not free.

Depending how Wine was installed depends how well it works.

What apps are you trying to run. It takes some special configuration to get some to run properly.

See this link for examples;

http://frankscorner.org/

Quote:
help.. basically all i know how to do is install the programs i dont' knwo how to run them!!

Which programs are you referring to? Are you having trouble running wine itself try wine notepad.exe or, no offence is the problem with running Linux programs in general?

On another note, don't forget that although Crossover Office is not free, they do offer a trial download unlike WineX which may give you a better feel for Wine itself.