Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Elian_Gonzalez

Corrupted Desk.cpl File

I installed some shitty screensaver, something called Matrix 2 v3 or something.. And it basically screw my desk.cpl file up.. Whenever I try to click the Screensavers tab in the display properties, it crashes.. I've replaced the entire file, no luck, anyone wanna help?

-Elian

Try to search in WINNT\SYSTEM32 after the screensaver and remove it maually. It's called "something".scr

This should work if you get the errormessage when you click on the screensavertab in DisplayProperties.

/Toby

Windows 2000 Professional.

I deleted every SCR file I have, no effect.

I've also replaced the desk.cpl file from another copy of Windows 2000, no effect.

It sounds as though the screensaver may have done something to your display subsystem drivers. This MSKB article may, or may not, be applicable to your situation. You'll notice that, although it appears at first to refer only to Win98 and WinME systems, the body of the article refers to both Win NT and Win 2000. You should also take note that, when they talk about editing the registry the article refers to regedt32.exe (NOT regedit.exe). Too many people indiscriminately use regedit.exe for working on NT and W2K registries. It can be used in some cases, but it is not the registry editor of choice. I only use regedit.exe for its search function and its ability to display and delete corrupted entries of certain kinds. I never use it for creating entries.

I hope you find a solution.

Regards,

Jim