Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BloodRedDragon

Service Packs

No "slipstreaming" for NT bud, sorry. But boy do I WISH there was a way to.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Can you please point me in the right direction to where i can find a detailed description of how to slipstream a cd of 2k?

thanks

Ancker Jade

If I'm not mistaken, the Windows 2000 FAQ on ntcompatible has the steps for integrating the SP.

I even know that there is a way to integrate other programs such WMP7 and Messenger, DirectX 8.

But dont know how to do it.

If anybody know, please do reply back

ARC

Yes, it is possible to "slipstream" NT. Basically all you have to do is copy the i386 directory to your hard drive, extract the service packs and/or hotfixes to replace the old files with the updated ones. Then burn the new i386 directory to CD. This will work with NT 4.0 and 2000.

For more information, see:

http://windows2000.about.com/compute/windows2000/library/weekly/aa011000a.htm

To make the new NT/2000 install CD bootable see:

http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=13914

[This message has been edited by Santa-Jack (edited 03 April 2001).]

While I see the advantage of copying the files from a service pack in NT over into the NT CD image, I have to wonder about how it would work with a fresh install off of the new image. Does it report to be SPx? Does it retain all of the functionality of installing the service pack? It seems that part of the service pack installation process includes modifying registry keys, and I can't see this being done by the homemade slipstream being mentioned here. In addition, I didn't see anything about creating a CD image for fresh installations on the link listed, and every other FAQ and article I have seen point to it not being feasible in NT. Have you done this? Does everything perform the same as a fresh install with the SP applied afterward?

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Santa-Jack, do you have anymore info on this? I am still interested in how you got this to work.

------------------

Regards,

clutch