Sign in to follow this  
Gleep

Win2k AS: Poor Performance

I just built a new server for our office. Specs:

1ghz

KT7-Raid

3 30 IBM ATA-100

256 Generic Ram

I am just not satisfied with the performace of this box. I have a similar box running 2000 pro and it flies.

HD Tach scores are horribly low, but they are low on both systems.

15 ms access time

30 read

On my ME box I get 8 ms access time and 100 mbs read.

I have service pack 1 installed. I have not installed the VIA 4-in-1 patch on this new install. I installed the Ultra-ATA last install and it really really tanked HD performance.

Any Idea's?

I got it out of PIO mode, the HD is in DMA mode right now. It improved performance, but its still slow.

How fast would an 82 meg file be, moved to a different partition on the same physical disk?

Took 15 seconds w/DMA.

Only reason I am sketching...on my ME box its 4 seconds max.

Servers are generally not meant to be used as desktop systems. How is it performing in its designated duties? Is it serving files well? IIS working well? Running any databases on it? I have AS running on my server at home, and it poor desktop performance, but flies in terminal services and Exchange. I will be putting SQL2K on it along with SMS 2.0 soon to test it for deployment at the office, and I bet it will do that fine too.

Bear in mind that it has many more services running in default trim, and if you feel the need to bring its performance up, you may want to look at stopping/disabling any extraneous entries. Some people install RIS by default, and that is a bear of its own.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I have found that IDE RAID is not all it cracked up to be speedwise. It can show some improvement for some operations, but I often see speed with a single drive doing better. I would recommend a visit to the forum on www.storagereview.com where IDE vs SCSI and raid performance are really studied and discussed well.

The bottom line is if you want just blazing hard disk speed, you can't beat a 15K/rpm SCSI hard drive :-)

I run Windows 2000 Adv. Server on my home computer and I don't have any performance problems, it runs hust as fast as Win2k Pro on an Athlon @ 864 MHz, 256 Mb RAM...

I think the reason that your computer is so slow in regular desktop applications is that Win2k Server is optimized for background services by default, to change this right click on 'My Computer' and select 'properties' and the 'Advanced' tab, then open the 'Performance' dialog. There you can change optimization mode, either applications or background services...

[This message has been edited by Marchuz^ (edited 27 March 2001).]