Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bianca

Save Problem

hi folks

when i go to save or export a file in an application even d/l it takes 15-20secs to bring up the save dialog frown just cant work it out and its driving me mad dont want to have to format frown

many thanks in advance

hmmm

hard drive in power save mode? powers down so when you access it again it powers up.

The same thing with your CD Drive ..the whole thing gets refreshed during a dirctory list so the OS tries to read the CD Directory ..tkaes a bit of time since it might have spun down.

This may or may not be the problem......

I can't remember if there is a setting for the CD Drive not that you want to anyway ..but

there definitely is one for the HDD to stop it going into power save mode or something ..

least it gives you some ideas.

If you're running in a networked environment, and use predominantly Novell Netware servers, then having the CLient for Microsoft Networks installed on your machine can cause these problems.

We have the same problem at work with our Windows 2000 machines. If we remove the Microsoft client, then the machines behave normally. This only affects the Win2k machines though. The 95 and NT machines all seem fine with both clients installed.

Thanks for the reply but none of those resemble me.

Its a home based computer.

Im not runing novell networking.

The harddrive isnt powering down.

The machine works perfectly and is very fast opening programs etc but when it just comes to the most important part save/export of any program its **** . I dont know what else i can do frown

Pls some help me if they can.

Bianca.

Forgive me for sounding patronising but lets start with the basics.

When you initially select 'save as' does your hard drive show a lot of activity? Does it run until the 'save as' prompt comes up? Because if it does then there is a file being read before the selected program saves. If there is little or no hard drive activity then something else is wrong. Try pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up a list of programs running in the background and remove them one by one, to see if this makes a difference. As far as downloading is concerned, before the prompt comes up is the program being actually downloaded? is there modem activity? Again, sorry for appearing condescending but you didn't really clarify the basics. It is difficult for us to assume the scenario you see.

- Card.