Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rimmy

Enable 2 CPUs without reloading Win2k?

Is there a way I can enable dual cpus in Windows 2000, without having to reinstall it? I'm pretty sure I saw this somewhere, that it was possible, but I cant for the life of me remember where. Thanks in advance if anyone knows how, I really appreciate it.

Rimmy

i have never used a dual board before but i think i might have what you need...go to device manager, expand computer, go to the properties for whatever you have, acpi compliant pc, standard pc etc, go to the driver tab, choose update driver, and choose display a list of drivers or whatever it is when you get the chance, you might have to choose show all hardware of this device class...i hope this helped...damn, i wish i had a dual system...

Choose the MPS or ACPI Multiprocessor HAL.

ACPI Multiprocessor might give you some problems so choose MPS Multiprocessor if you want the least hassle.

Be sure to check that your mobo supports it and that is enabled...if your mobo doesnt support acpi and you change to acpi you will have to reinstall win2k.

------------------

-------------------------

Dual Pentium 3 600Mhz/133Mhz coppermine

Tyan Tiger 133 (up to date bios)

256 Mb PC133

Guillemot 3D Prophet Geforce 256

Promisse Ultra 100

Hauppauge WinTV PCI (FM)

Creative Dxr3 Mpeg!

Creative SBLive 1024!

3Com Fast Ethernet XL 10/100Mbit card

Aopen 10X/40X DVD

Yamaha 8X/4X/24X burner

Alot of deskstar harddrives!

The short answer is NO! It has nothing to do with the ACPI or anything else. The key lies in the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) which is the first thing that is detected at setup. If your machine did NOT have more than 1 CPU when u installed Windows, then u cannot change the HAL on-the-fly. You can however go the other way, install the multiprocessor HAL and take the 2nd CPU out later for example.

You will need to reinstall to make use of the 2nd CPU

that's wrong palos.... in nt4 you had to reinstall, but in win2k you can change the HAL in the device manager like giantpotato said. changing to/from acpi does require a reinstall though.

I guess u're right CUViper...I assumed that they kept the same techniques from NT4. Thats a good thing to know, tho...damn, gotta pick up my dusty M$ literature wink

What if you installed the second CPU and then ran REPAIR. Repair does do a hardware check and installs accordingly. Everyone told me on my windows 2000 pro install on c: that I would have a hard time dual booting with win98 since I was supposed to install 98 first but all I did was install 98 on a different hard drive and then run the 2000 setup disk to run the repair and everything is smooth like butter! I am going to try and do this on my 2000 server box right now.

I have one PIII 600 and server already installed and im going to install the second cpu and run repair. Wish me luck. I will post up when I have the verdict.

Anyone want to place some gentlemen bets?

Here's a few things to look for though. In NT (3.51 used 5 files and 4.0 uses 6 files), you could run the UPTOMP.EXE util to update from single to multi-proc configs. All that you really had to do was edit a few pointer files, and then re-run your latest service pack. Since the service updates the files that the utility modified, you could just do it manually. As far as running the repair utility, it has the lovely side-benefit of occasionally steam-rolling the registry, and rolling you back to an earlier SP level if you don't use an rdisk floppy (which would probably defeat the purpose since it would likely have info the the HAL anyway). What *I* would is:

1. Go to http://search.microsoft.com and enter "upgrade to mulitple processor"

2. Follow the info on the first link (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q234/5/58.ASP) which made sense

3. Read it and find out that it remarkably similar to what Impala SS stated

smile

e

Here's another spiffy link with some pics of the changeover process:

http://www.windows2000faq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=14641

HTH

/e

------------------

Regards,

clutch

[This message has been edited by clutch (edited 24 January 2001).]

Both ways work fine.

Yes, the repair was extra work but it did work. The changing of the hal worked as well with less hassle and was much easier do to.

Great find Clutch. That article rocked.

Do you know what gets on my nerves? What gets on my nerves is that as I read some of these posts I see that a ton of them is actually answered in the Operating system help file. I know posting is fun but wouldnt you rather read something that makes sense all the time and has the right answer than wait for a reply that might be right but is written in broken english? I always check the help file first so this post was not in the help file but it was in Technet and I think we would get a better pot of tech questions if people would use the help files and technet.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rimmy:
Is there a way I can enable dual cpus in Windows 2000, without having to reinstall it? I'm pretty sure I saw this somewhere, that it was possible, but I cant for the life of me remember where. Thanks in advance if anyone knows how, I really appreciate it.

Rimmy
</font>

Yes. This is from the THG archives:

Upgrading Windows 2000 for 2 CPUs

Fortunately Windows2000 is much less of a pain to change back and forth between single-processor and SMP configurations. Simply go into the Device Manager and find the item 'Computer'. With 'Change Driver' you can choose whichever system configuation you fancy by choosing 'show all available drivers'.

And for NT:

Upgrading Windows NT 4.0 for 2 CPUs

If you are using Windows NT 4.0 and want to upgrade to a dual system, you can either make a complete new system installtion or go the easier way:

In the NT Resource Pack you will find a little program called 'uptomp.exe', which is supposed to upgrade a single processor installation to a multi processor one. Unfortunately the program comes with a bug, so you're required to download a patch from Microsoft's website. Don't expect 'uptomp.exe' to be all you need to run. As a nother example for Microsoft's inability to make WindowsNT user friendly enough this program will exchange the single-CPU-system kernel files with the SMP-system files from the installation CD. Thus you will have to upgrade to the service pack update you were using right after you ran 'uptomp.exe'.

If you should want to play it safe you could back up the following files previous to the switch to SMP:

Hal.dll
Kernel32.dll
Ntdll.dll
Ntoskrnl.exe
Win32k.sys
Winsrv.dll

All that 'uptomp.exe' does is replacing those files with their SMP-versions. Although Microsoft claims you will never be able to change back to single-processor, you actually can. Start another NT-installation from where you can access the files of your original installation and swap the above files back. After a reboot you will have your single-processor installation back.

Don't forget to make sure you have installed the right mass storage device drivers before you swap your motherboard. Without the correct HDD-drivers WindowsNT will be unable to boot.