Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bishopgwa

ABIT KT7A/Windows 2000 HELP!!!

I have just gotten a KT7A Abit board and I'm getting blue screen when trying to install windows 2000.......HELP ANYONE!! I've only got a bare bone system going right now....Western Digial Hard disk and 128 megs of PC100 ram....ATX Rage Pro APG any Ideas??

[This message has been edited by Bishopgwa (edited 05 March 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Bishopgwa (edited 05 March 2001).]

When does the blue screen appear? Fo you have the KT7A or KT7A-R (Raid)?

Three possibilities come up. There is a partitioning problem causing the blue screen. Or presence of a bad memory chip to which Windows 2000 is very sensitive. Or the hard disk is on an ATA 100 controller and not on a standard controller which is necessary. After full install switch to ATA 100 and Windows 2000 will boot fine.

I was having a problem formating the disk but the I put it into another PC that already had win2k and formated it there. Then I put it back into the other PC and I loaded the files fine and the it reboots itself and Then The win2k startup screen comes up to finish the installation and THEN IT goes blue screen on me.........I'm not sure about the memory.....and I don't think the disk is running on an ATA 100........Oh ya......it is KT7A- non RAID......

[This message has been edited by Bishopgwa (edited 06 March 2001).]

Do you have enough power?? I changed from dual celeron to a abit kt7 and amd 750, when I tried to install win2k I got a blue screen just like you. Changing the power supply did it for me... You need at least 300w, just thought I should mention it as you said nothing about how big a powersupply you got.

I was beginning to think I was the only one having problems with my new Abit KT7A Raid! Yours sounds like the usual missing boot disk BSOD. My problem is a bit different: I don't get as far as a BSOD, my install stops when it says "Please wait while Windows examines your hardware" (or something similar). The only escape is to switch off. After two weeks I have found that the cause is the Raid contoller itself. If I connect the disk to the standard IDE interface and disable the RAID Controller windows 2k installs and runs fine. If I leave the disk where it is and just enable the RAID then the machine won't boot. I've tried both the floppy boot and bootable CD installs but get the same effect. The BIOS is the latest one on offer on the Abit Web Site.