Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
souldreamer

Fedora Core 1

I installed Fedora Core 1, but i can't even compile xChat 2.0.7. It sucked. I think i'll install Red Hat 9 again. When do they plan to launch Fedora Core 2?

Hmm... I found Fedora quite easy to installl RPM's. Are you compiling from source or RPM's?

If from source, did you choose to install the development packages, during install?

An the joy was something un-touchable when suddenly we got twins!! New star was lighted to the sky! ;( ;( smile

Whats the point installing fedora? Fedeora (core1) is exact the same as redhat 9. redhat has UP2DATE service and if you have been useing that, you allready have all new packages, so fedora doesn't offer nothing new.

Isn't it like this: When redhat was divided to commercial and non commercial release, non commercial (fedora) was jus copied from redhat?

I think that when time passes on (say a 1-2 years) we will have two entirely different distributions. So far, i dont think enough time has passed, to fedora to develop it's own personality.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

redhat frown : MOTHER! MOTHER! Fedora is bugging me again! He imitates everythin i doo!

mother shocked : Come on! Thought you are twins, you still are older, you must understand it. He's still so young.

fedora ;( : Shut up! I'm not copying you, i do everything BETTER than you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fedora Core 1 is a continuation of where Red Hat 9 left off since RH will cease support for it's free versions next April. RH will then exclusivly offer Red Hat Enterprise which has to be purchased. RH will rely on Fedora for experimentation and bleeding edge development of their software. It is my understanding that up2date support will cease come April 1st.

I'll install red hat 9 until fedora comes out. BTW, how do i boot to text mode in red hat 9? What do i have to change?

..Like sed, they are the same. I think it's done just like in every distro. (almoust)

Edit your /etc/inittab -file, to select your runlevel.

# 0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)

# 1 - Single user mode

# 2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)

# 3 - Full multiuser mode

# 4 - unused

# 5 - X11

# 6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)

#

id:3:initdefault: # Console Text Mode [size:18]<- SELECT THIS[/color]

id:5:initdefault: # Console GUI Mode

I needed Text mode when i installed nVidia drivers...

/mnt/ -is the normal folder vhere you can mount anythig. Jus make folder in there like /mnt/sparedisk

If you have time, put your red hat on and read: http://www.chinalinuxpub.com/doc/www.siliconvalleyccie.com/linux-hn/runlevels.htm