Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Xavier211

Scandisk Just Not Working in W2k!!!

I'm running Windows 2000 Pro with SP1 and all the latest updates from Microsoft's Windows Update. I decided it was time for a scandisk, since the last time I had done a full surface scan was before I formatted my hard drive and installed Win2k.

I right clicked on my hard drive and went to the Tools tab. Then I clicked on "Check Now..." under the Error-Checking box. I got the following message:

The disk check could not be performed because exclusive access to the drive could not be obtained. Do you want to schedule this disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?"

This occurs ONLY when I check two boxes indicating that the scandisk utility should "Automatically Fix File System Errors" and "Scan for and Attempt Recovery of Bad Sectors."

Anyone got any ideas? Another gripe I have is that I properly set up users and still have to enter a password to access another computer networked to mine. Both machines run Win2k. Even I set the user account to have no password, it still comes up with the window and I have to press enter without entering a password.

Is this because it doesn't recognize me as an Administrator? Is this why I don't have 'exclusive access to the drive'? I created an account for myself with membership to the Administrator group. Isn't this good enough?

- Xavier211

Heh, mine does the same and altough annoying I've considered it to work as designed. I beleive that the exclusive access is to be understood so that Windows is using some system files and scandisk is the one needing exclusive access, not the user. Just schedule the scan and boot, and the scan will run. The other option is to run chkdsk /f from the command prompt, but that requires a reboot too.

If somebody knows a way around it please post !

H.