Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
scott_h2000

win98 and win NT 4 question

Hi,

wonder if any of you kind people could give me some advice.My current o/s is win 98.

I need to install win nt 4.0 to run one single application (which only runs under nt4 unfortunately) but I am not happy about changing the complete o/s. Is it possible to install nt4 without uninstalling w98? Can they both be run at the same time? I seem to have a lot of software/hardware which only

runs on win95/98 which would mean a large expense to change over. Is it possible to have the NT4 compatible program running

along with the other win 98 applications at the same time? Would be great if anyone could spare me some advise on this.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AlecStaar:
Boy,

Good Question... What filesystem you have running on Win98?

Hopefully, Fat16, but for some reason... lol, I am betting you are on Fat32 from the way you're asking about having to uninstall one to do the other!

* Does this app run on Windows²ººº? I'd bet it does... NT 4.0 & Windows²ººº (in their basic underpinnings/plumbing) are NOT all that diff. really...

(See, I'd wager you application can run on Windows²ººº & you can circumvent ANY Fat32 filesystem limitations NT 4.0 has regarding Fat32, even with SystemInternals NT 4.0 Fat32 driver... which I don't know if that is installeable/utilizeable during install!)

Because I am guessing you're on Fat32 in Win98... you cannot install NT 4.0 cleanly without torching your partition, OR converting it to Fat16 from Fat32!

Now, that's a possible for you...

I am wondering in Partition Magic 6.0 will pull a Fat32->Fat16 conversion!

* If so, you are probably in business... and can then install NT 4.0!

smile

APK

P.S.=> Last 2 paragraphs are the best I can come up with in you INSIST on NT4... but see if your app has a patch, or needs one, for Win2k! apk

</font>

Thanks for the help,

You guessed right,im running FAT32 and unfortunately the application only runs on NT4 with no Win2000 patch. I ll try to do a
conversion with partition magic 6 and see how
it goes. Thank again

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DosFreak:
What prog?</font>

Hi,
the progam i'm trying to run is from reuters and is called Reuters Trader Workstation, it is an older prog. and wont be upgraded to run with win2000. As AlecStarr points out below the problem i have is that I have a FAT32 file system running. Thanks.