Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cosmosys

From win98 to linux?

Since they are dropping support for Win98 im going to suggest that my girlfriend's mother switch to linux(because its free!). Hardware support won't be a problem since her computer is more than 4 years old. What flavor of linux would you suggest for her computer. All she uses it for is email and playing online games(flash/java). And since she has never used linux before I would like a version that would be easy to maintain and similar to win98(so she feels a little more at home).

Since you are looking for "free" I won't mention Lindows (oops!). I agree, if you know how to install Linux and are experienced with helping her with what games that she wants to play (setting them up) and want to make point's with your girl friend's mom, Mandrake is a good choice. I broke my linux teeth with Mandrake, then moved on to RedHat.

Is she has certain games that she can't live without, this is a consideration. Some will not have Linux equals or will not run easily without some experience setting them up.

If she is willing to try some new stuff, then Mandrake comes with some good default choices.

Beware that the flash/java performance compared to windows will be very slow.

Quote:
cosmosys, did you ever get Linux up and running on your brother's box?

not yet. gotta wait till i go down and see him this summer

And another question I would like to post. She plays games on MSN Zone.com. The problem with the site is that you need to download a program that lets you access the site, and being 'msn' there is no linux version of the program. Do you think it would be possible if i could run the program using an emulator?

Codeweavers' Crossoffice Plugin can do the job I think... But it's not free. Actually why don't you leave her Win98 along with a mandrake/redhat system? Thus she can play whatever she wants..

Quote:
Beware that the flash/java performance compared to windows will be very slow.

8) hmmm... I haven't seen any significant difference..

Well.. MSN Zone could be a problem.. Anyways, as slimmer has already suggested, dual-booting would be a solution.

The problem with dual booting is that its too much work for her. The only way to get her to learn something with the computer is to throw her into it and force her to learn. If its easier to go onto win98 she will abandon linux and vice versa. So dual booting is kind of irrelevant.

Get Win4lin. It works great, easy to install. Your mother will simply opens M$ Windows as she would any other Linux application.

I bought it when I began my move to Linux. The only thing I use it for now is to open a legacy file in M$ Publisher or such like.

Inexpensive, it works.

caudell is right. Win4Lin rocks if you simply must run Windows apps on Linux. Windows 98 would install right to it, and you would experience far less crashes.

Quote:
And another question I would like to post. She plays games on MSN Zone.com. The problem with the site is that you need to download a program that lets you access the site, and being 'msn' there is no linux version of the program. Do you think it would be possible if i could run the program using an emulator?

some suggestions for amsn emulator Sorry I haven't had a chance to check it out yet