Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
richough3

Force DMA through registry editing

I was wondering if anyone knows how to foce DMA mode by editing the registry. I have a Pioneer 114 DVD drive, but it does not automaticaly support DMA mode (unless one of the 2 reserved jumpers support that). I have tried the disabling DMA in the BIOS (I have the Abit KA7 MB BTW), but I still get PIO mode only. One time, when Win2k first came out, I found a post telling about editing the registry to force DMA to be enabled and it worked, but I lost the message a long time ago. I have installed VIAs bus master drivers, but then my Memorex CRW-1622 CD-RW (PIO mode only, because it's a 2x2x6) disappears and the Pioneer drive won't play DVDs. I have tried editing a few registry settings, but Win2k restores them when it starts again.

Thanks,

Richard

richough3@hotmail.com

-----

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]

"EnableUDMA66"=dword:00000001

-----

-bZj

Well, thanks for the suggestion, but it still didn't work. I did find a solution though. I installed the VIA 4.28 drivers, but I edited the Win2k IDE Inf file so it would not enable DMA on the IDE chain my CD-RW was on and it finally showed up with the VIA Busmaster drivers installed. I was actually surprised it worked, but with VIA's busmaster drivers, although it enabled DMA on my Pioneer DVD drive, WinDVD won't play, although PowerDVD works fine.

I have seen this same question posted about 30 times and I am not understanding the issue. Windows 2000 will automatically setup DMA if your harware supports it, if its needed, if its suppost to have DMA. YOU DO NOT NEED TO EDIT THE REGISTRY. If you are having to edit the registry for DMA then you need to look somewhere else for the problem. Tell me about your system and config and how you are coming to the conclusion that DMA is not installed. Tell me the hardware that you have (details please) and all that you have looked at. Even if your motherboard is setup in PIO mode 4 windows 2000 will still use DMA if your hardware supports it. Send me some details so that I might better understand this issue that keeps coming up.

Thanks,

Frank

I have a sony Vaio FX701 laptop running XP pro (on NTFS)

Noticing a massive slow down since install SP2 I have found that the primary IDE controller is running in PIO mode (the secondary which support the DVD is runing in UDMA) the only choices on the properties tab are 'PIO only' or 'DMA if available' - which is selected; however the transfer mode selected is PIO.

How can I force it back to UDMA