Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
xcel

“Contents Submenu” for viewing folder contents under Win 2K

Hi All:

___I have been dual booting Win98 SE/Millennium (now)/Windows 2000 for just under a year and I have yet to find a replacement for the simple but very useful tool from the Win95 Power Toys package called “Contents Submenu”. This small PowerToy does not work properly under Windows 2000. What this small tweak does is when you right click a folder that you have created on the desktop, you get a cascading menu like always but your cascaded menu now includes an item called “Contents”. When you select it, it gives you a cascading list of all the program shortcuts in the folder without having to open the folder up to full or partial screen on the desktop. I hate opening and closing windows but I also hate to have more than 9 icons on the desktop at any given time as well. I sort all my usable programs in a folder on the desktop called Wayne’s folder and place an icon on it of my choosing. I then insert all the program shortcuts that I use in that folder so that I have access to my executables from one icon on the desktop. I create this same style of file mgmt. with folders for my “wife”, “son”, “games”, and “MP3, CD-Audio, and DVD” as well. Each of us have our own folders and my son stays away from ours as well as everything in the Start Menu and Control Panel … Under Win95/a/b/OSR2/98/98 SE or Millennium, I right click on the folder --> Contents --> select the program to launch with just 1 click. Well with Windows 2000, I get a cascaded menu of garbage when I try installing the tweak and therefore cannot use it.

___I have installed the tweak and could not successfully remove it via Add-Remove Programs. I have also installed JerMars “Tweaki… for Power Users” and did not see this addition in there package either. Does anyone know of a registry hack that can enable this to work properly under Windows 2000?

___Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you for any and all replies.

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ xcel@midwest.idsonline.com