Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cht

help - 0x0000007B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

I have WinME and am trying to make my system dualboot by installing Win2k Pro. However, I'm getting a blue screen INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE at the beginning of the text mode setup when it's saying "Starting Windows2000...". Could someone help me?

Hardware configs: ASUS A7V Socket-A KT133 with Promise ATA1000 controller, IBM Deskstar 75GXP ATA100 45GB drive, Toshiba SD-M1402 DVDROM drive. The Deskstar is set up as the primary drive on the ATA100 controller. The DVDROM drive is the primary drive on the IDE controller.

WinME is installed on the first FAT32 5GB partition and I'm trying to install Win2k on the 2nd FAT32 (40GB) partition (want to make this NTFS though).

Any help is appreciated.

No, it didn't install at all. Remeber the first screen in text-mode setup where it pauses briefly and prompts you to press F6 to set up a 3rd party SCSI or RAID driver? If you do nothing, it'll load a min set of drivers(i think). Then it'll say "Setup is now starting Windows2000" at the bottom of the screen. It'll be stuck there for 30 secs and then the blue screen will appear. All these happen within the first 2 mins of the text-mode setup.

btw, my BIOS version is 1004d.

ah ok. I think you need to load the promise ata-100 drivers if your going to install off of that drive when it asks for 3rd party RAID/SCSI controllers. Im not too sure but i think that could be the problem.

Yes. Thanks. That's exactly the problem. Basically, all I had to do is to install my Promise driver during the text-mode setup. For someone who's encountering this problem, you need to do the following:

- on the ASUS CD that comes with the motherboard, there's a "Promise" directory. Copy all the files and the subdir Win2000 to a floppy

- when the text-mode setup prompts you to install a 3-party RAID or SCSI driver, press F6 and specify the txtsetup.oem file

- now you're all ready to go.

Check out the ASUS forums for details: http://www.asusnetq.com.tw/English/Os/index.asp

Not a problem man. Im just trying to get as much tech support knowledge as possible before i get out into the working world and have to actually make money using said knowledge.