Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
miku

Saving Settings

Hi,

I am having a problem.

Windows 2000 doesn't save my settings somehow. In the effect Tab (Display Properties), there is an option, "HIDE KEYBOARD NAVIGATION INDICATORS..."

When I check it and apply, windows removes keyboard indicators. However, if I restart or log on again, it gets unchecked again.

This is frustating.

Please help!

ARC

Hmmm. There were a couple of other questions I should have asked:

Are you seeing any other types of settings fail to save properly?

Have you manually changed any folder or file permissions / privileges from the default Administrators Group settings?

Can you paste the contents of your boot.ini file into a message here?

Maybe it will help us see something if you open a command prompt, and issue the command "gpresult /s /c /u>gpresult.txt" (without quotes, and do specify a drive and pathname for the gpresult.txt files). Then open the gpresult.txt file in Notepad so that you can copy and paste it in its entirety to a message here. Maybe the listing will show us something in general terms.

Regards,

Jim

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

gpresult is not recognized as a command

ARC

Okay, no problem with the boot.ini file.

I'm sorry about the gpresult suggestion. I forgot that it's part of the W2K Resource Kit.

With respect to the other two questions I asked:

Have you manually changed any permissions settings on any folders or files or changed the permissions of any users?

Are you seeing the failure to save settings anywhere other than this particular setting?

Regards,

Jim

As well, what programs are you running? I know of at least one (WindowBlinds) which itself disables that specific setting when it loads.

Yes I am running Windows Blinds!

That must be why.

Any workaround for it.

ARC

Well, the easiest workaround is not to run WindowBlinds wink

Apparently, that particular option can mess up certain skins, so the developers had WB turn it off. If you'd like to force it "always on", you can always try putting a .reg file in your startup with the right settings. Maybe there's a policy setting you can configure. Good luck!