Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wind

Reinstalling Windows 2000?

I am about to reinstall win2000 but I am faced with a problem. I dont really want to format / re partition the drive and if I just reinstall over, my program files directory and winnt directory will still be full of junk that I want to get rid of. Since my partition is NTFS, I cant figure out how to delete these directories and then reinstall the operating system. Anyone have any ideas? smile

To clarify: you don't want to format? Why not?

You don't have to repartition the drive. You can just reformat the partition that the OS will be on. Back up the files you want from that one to another.

-bZj

Ahh, the problem is that it is a VERY large partition. I guess it would be possible to back everything up but am looking for another solution. It would be a lot easier if I could somehow remove /winnt and /program files before I get into the setup program, while the rest of the drive is there..I guess I can just install over, but there will probably be junk left over everywhere..ah. Wonder if theres any dodgey programs to let win98 read ntfs5 smile

There are programs that let DOS read NTFS, but I haven't been able to find the link yet. I'll post it here for you as soon as I find it.

-bZj

When you reinstall Windows 2000, it automatically trashes your entire Winnt directory.

It removes your whole registry, and any user profiles you have created - oh, and the My Documents folder is trashed as well.

So, to all intents and purposes, you end up with a clean system. You can then just manually delete anything that gets left over.

i think i need to reinstall windows 2000 on my other computer after i log on the screen just stays the backround blue and the only thing i can do is reach is the opions under the window security thing when you press crl alt delete can anyone help