Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Emilee1

Installing Win2000 Help

Hey guys, I need some help installing 2000 Pro. Currently I have WinME, and it works great. I placed the 2000 cd in, said no to the upgrade or my curret OS, and went for the clean duel boot option. Well, it starts up fine, allowing me to choose from WinME, and Win2000 setup. However, when I run the 2000 setup, it tells me to uninstall any new hardware/software or drivers. Here is what I have:

Creative Labs GeForce DDR-6.18 drivers

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Value-Liveware 3.0

Adaptec SCSI controler card from my CD-R

Linksys 10/100 Ethernet for cable (Im about to take it out, I just got ADSL)

I have my drive partitioned, formated, and ran scandisk, and defrag. Nothing seems to be wrong. My question is why is it telling me to uninstall drivers/programs and such if there is nothing on that drive? Do I need to uninstall these drivers, load Win2000 up, then reinstall them? I have disabled my SCSI card, and Ethernet card in device manager to see if that mattered, it did not. Help me please smirk

Thanks.

And to beat all, I registered 'Emilee' with my old email, now I cant get the pw for it, thus the 1 after my name! shocked

Do you install W2K on the same partition where WinMe is already sitting?

If so, W2K setup could well mess with common directories with the same names under both OSes and find stuff it does not like being there.

Just a thought... wink

No sir. ME is on C: Im trying to put this on F: which has been formatted, scandisked, and defragged. Its totally empty :\

A few questions:

- is your W2K cd an upgrade only or a full install cd?

- does W2K setup see your F drive? If yes, are you sure it really reports the very drive you want to install on and not another partition?

- is this F drive a primary partition or a logical drive?

- from where do you lauch W2K setup? from dos on C drive? from Me ? from a dos boot disk ?

Just wondering smile

1. Full Pro CD

2. Ive never been that far for it to see it. Just to where you can go to "advanced" and tell it where to go.

3. Logical

4. Ive tried it from within Windows, and let it autorun. Also tried it on boot up.

It boots up fine with the option to start WinME, or 2000 Setup. Then I KEEP on getting that error.

I took out my Ethernet card (got USB adsl), and took out my SCSI card. So now all I have is my GeForce and Live!.

Drivers are, 6.18, and Liveware 3.0.

I really want this to work smirk

OK.

The two oses are messing together.

You MUST install W2K on a primary partition, ie in the root of the first partition of a physical drive.

This drive maybe anyone on your system, provided it is a physical drive.

You have two solutions:

- first solution : install on same partition as WinMe, that is to say root of C:.

This is very bad as you have a risk that the two oses mess themselves together at some stage when they will want to do stuff in common pathes/directories. Nobody would want to do that.

- second solution : put another hard disk in your system. It should show up as D:. W2K will be very happy to install itself on that one and run from there.

You should be done.

Welcome to the club and enjoy!

Just thinking smile

Another important point (solution 2):

Before attempting to install, delete from within WinMe all temporary directories that the W2K installer may have created during the previous aborted installs.

Also, edit your boot.ini file in C: root and remove the line which refers to W2K Professionnal Setup.

This file is hidden, so change properties/attribute to edit it, then change back to hidden when you are done.

Just keeping on thinking smile

Sigh frown I have C, D, E, F, and G now all on one HD. F is where I am trying to put 2000, I wasnt aware it had to be first on the list. I guess I could install 2000 on C, and ME on F?

Thanks for the help!

Sorry, but it is the only solution.

You cannot install W2K on a logical drive.

Also, I'm not sure WinMe will install on a logical drive (I do not use this would-be os and do not want to know about it).

My advice would definitely be to install Win2K on C: drive and not bother with win me which is obsolescent anyway.

Win2K is light years ahead of WinMe. You will enjoy it and get a much better service and stability, top-notch networking, rock-solid administration.

I would have to disagree with Froggy on this one. My friend has WinME on C: and Win2K Pro on E: of his one 30gig drive. No problems. He just edited the boot.ini after his reinstall of WinME and all was good. And, I'm pretty sure you can install WinMe on drives other than C:.

-bZj

In a way I agree with your not agreeing smile

Of course, you can install W2K on any drive.

What I mean is that I would never install it on any logical drive for safety and speed reasons.

I definitely want to have it on a primary and bootable partition.

Doing so you will always have a possibility to recover in case of big messing.

In the present situation, this is what I would do:

- first uninstall/delete WinMe from C:

- second, install W2K on a freshly fat32-formatted C: partition, preferably booted from a plain Win98 dos diskette with only io.sys, msdos.sys, fdisk and command.com on it after having copied the whole i386 folder from the cd somewhere else on a logical drive, for example E:

I then would launch the install from the command line E:\i386\winnt

It is the best way to have a safe and very fast installation. Later on, when W2K need a file for loading a driver or whatever, it will find it at once, without requesting the cd. Very handy, indeed...

- third, install WinMe if you really need this blue-screen generator wherever you wish (at your own risks eh eh...)

I always install W2K as above on dual-boot configs. Never had a problem. Super clean installation. Easy to repair in case it crashes. Super fast reinstalls directly from hard disk.

I have no probs deleting ME, I usually refomat once every 2-3 months just to keep my reg clean. The ONLY thing I install on C is Windows, Office, and a very few programs that dont like to be anywhere else. I can be up and running perfect again in about 30 minutes.

Ok, my question then is, what do I need to do exactly to get Win2k to C. Im sure sure if it will boot off of the cd. I do have a 98SE boot disk, will that work? Then just go to my cd drive (I smile and I:\setup?

I may be willing to forgo Win9x on my system, but the thing is I play a lot of games, and Id like 9x for games, and 2k for everything else.

Thanks for the help!

Wait.. I DO have to have 9x, my ADSL does not support Win 2000. They will "supposedly" by the new years, but not yet.

So I do have to duel boot...

Ok... now I have a secondary HD. A 4.3 gig I plan to use soley for Win 2000. Just run it from setup, and it should find it?

On a totally different note... I reinstalled my SCSI card that is used for my CD-R. Now my D, E, F, G, are all gone... and my CD-R is now E, with my CDrom D. Whats up with that? Used to be CD-R as H, and CDrom as I. But when I reinstalled my SCSI, it took them away...

OK Emilee1

- First, please take a breath and stop changing your config all the time or it will be impossible to sort it out...

Now, remove this @#&$§£#! scsi controller, you will reinstall it later.

Put your big drive on first ide port one as master. Its primary partition will come up as C:

Put your 4 gigs drive on the same ide port as slave. It will come up as D:

Put your cd-rom drive on ide port two as master. It will come up as E:

Go to your mobo's bios and set it to boot off the cd. If ok, then run setup from the cd. The intall prog will at some stage ask you to choose a partition to put W2K on. Then confirm D: is the location where you want to install. Continue until W2K is installed. You should be done smile

If you cannot boot off the cd, then boot off C: or off a diskette. Do not forget to put the drivers for the cd in your config.sys and autoexec.bat files. The standard win98 bootdisk is ready with everything necessary on it, including the drivers for the cd.

Good luck.

PS: your adsl modem, external or internal?

If external, it's very easy to have it up and running with W2K.

Its a external USB 4060 modem thru Bellsouth.

I have made my 13gig all one partition, and have that 4gig as D. HOWEVER, on the first boot it showed correct. So I went and formatted it thru Windows by right clicking on in. Gave me all kinds of errors when I went to scandisk it afterwards.

So I tried it thru DOS, but the label on that hd is some really weird one, with all kinds of symbols that I dont have, and dont know how to make. So it wouldnt let me delete it thru DOS. Then I rebooted... and it showed it as a removable drive. Rebooted again thinking it was just a fluke... then it was totally gone. I think it may be bad/messed up.

Sorry this is such a ordeal smirk Here is what I have as of now: C=13gig all one partition, D=CD-R, and E=CDrom. Im going to try to get this other HD working.. its still in, just not plugged in. Im going to work soon, so I wont have time to try anything else today. Or I may just try to use Partition Magic, but Im not sure if it will work with ME since it does it thru DOS on boot up.