Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Elian_Gonzalez

Windows File Protection.

Since I don't feel like digging around on this subject, could anyone tell me how to turn off system file protection? I'm pretty sick of Windows replacing Notepad (Yes, Notepad, is that really nessicary to run a system?) whenever I try to put a copy of Metapad (Much better then Notepad) in instead.. Thanks in advance..

~Elian

The files that it replaces with are in \winnt\system32\dllcache. So if you want to change notepad, first replace the file in the dllcache directory.

Hmm, these files take up 200mb, that's not cool, considering I only have a 10GB drive. Does it matter if I just delete all the files in the folder? I don't really need SFP.. Thanks in advance ~~ Elian

Sure delete 'em. Just don't come complaining to use if you don't shut down your computer correctly or if ya BSOD and 2000 tries to get the backup file out of the dllcache folder....

Elian - if you REALLY want to do without the DLLCache folder, here's how you do it.

First go to a command prompt and type:

"sfc /cachesize=0" and then reboot. After rebooting, delete the contents of the DLLCache folder. System file protection will still work, but now rather than invisibly replacing incorrect files, Windows will flash up a message asking for the Win2k CD (which you can say no to).

If you want to check the integrity of system files you can do it by typing "SFC /SCANNOW" at a command prompt, and then look through the event log to see if anything has been replaced by older versions.

It's also a good idea to install the 'Recovery Console at boot-up' option just in case you need to rescue a corrupted win2k installation which won't boot.