Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MiShY

Autoexec and Startup Prog Options

Hey,

I've just installed Win2kPro - and loving it already smile

I have three questions however and please bear in mind that this is my first venture into the NT world.....

1) On Win98SE I had a BIOS update for my videocard that needed to load in the Autoexec.bat file. On the SiS site there is no mention as to whether this is cool with 2000 or not - but my question is can I still load this at boot as I've heard of problems with calling things in DOS ????

2) Does TweakUI have to load at boot to keep the tweaks I've made ?????

3) I installed Win2kPro as a clean install but I'm dual-booting Win98SE (if that makes sense). I want to remove 98SE because I'm happier with Win2k than I thought I would be. Is this possible ??????????

Thanks for any help,

MiShY

[This message has been edited by MiShY (edited 05 August 2000).]

1) use win98 to make boot disk put you autoexec.bat and you bios update on that and the run it

2) tweak ui is a control panel it changes registry settings it does not load when your system boots as far as i know

3) think twice before you take of 98 it is nice to have around for games making boot disks and running programs that 2k doesn't but if you want to remove it boot to win2k and delete all win 98 files on you computer and edit the c:\boot.ini so that it defaults to win2k and has a timeout value of 0

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Triple Boot Windows 2000 Pro 2195 / Windows Whistler Pro 2250 / Windows Millennium Final

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

128 Megs PC133 Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card (with the core and memory overclocked by 20 Mhz and dual voodoo coolers)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive

Hey Fourandtwenty

Thanks for your response.....

1) The reason why it was in the autoexec was because it needs to be called everytime the computer boots because the video memory is not like a BIOS. It can't hold the update.

Any ideas ????

2) With startup cop it shows that the Tweakui loads at boot. It does this on 98 too.

Any ideas ????

3) My 2000 is on an NTFS partition so I don't think a Win98 Bootdisk would help if I ever got in any strife would it ?????

Thanks again,

MiShY

1) Any ideas ???? Nope sorry

2) i looked in my task manager and tweak ui is not running so i don't know what it is that your software is detecting perhaps the system reviews the contents of the control panel at boot and that is what makes startup cop detect it - well whatever i don't know tweak ui is a must for me

3) i was thinking the bios update not as disk repair

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Triple Boot Windows 2000 Pro 2195 / Windows Whistler Pro 2250 / Windows Millennium Final

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

128 Megs PC133 Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card (with the core and memory overclocked by 20 Mhz and dual voodoo coolers)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive

Hey,

3) Funny you should say that...I've just updated my BIOS and downloaded a bootdisk lol

smile

When I try to boot off Windows98SE now it says invalid disk....

That's because Win2k & 98SE are on an NTFS partition right ?????

That being the case should I just go for it and wipe Windows98SE from my HDD ??????

MiShY

[This message has been edited by MiShY (edited 06 August 2000).]

If you converted your win98 installation partition to NTFS, then yeah, you may as well delete it, since win98 can't run on NTFS....

u don't need to edit the boot.ini file. just use ur 4 setup disks u cr8et when installing 2k and insert it in ur floppy drive when booting up go through the setup process until u come to repair choose that and choose repair boot or something like that *but remember to cr8 an ERD* goto start>programs>accessories>system tools>backup>cr8 ERD

I'd have to say that it's probably a lot quicker just to edit your boot.ini though and really not very tricky.

2) TweakUI loads when your computer boots because it is in the Control Panel, and all the modules in the Control Panel are loaded automatically.

To stop it loading, you need to delete the tweakui.cpl file, and search your registry and remove all entries to this file.

Any changes you made using TweakUI will remain.