Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KrisC

Win2K Boot-up Stop Errors

Well I've been getting really pissed off at my computer lately. Sometimes, when I boot the computer up, halfway through the boot process I'll get a stop error. Most of the time it says "Couldn't find nv4_mini.sys", which is one of the drivers for my video card. Sometimes it will say a different system file couldn't be found. But if I reboot the computer a couple of times, it will start up normally and everything will work. And sometimes when I do a cold boot the computer will boot up just fine. I have a Celeron2 566 that's running at 800 MHz (I also had to up the core voltage), so I figured I'd run that at a much slower speed and the standard core voltage, but I still got stop errors. I've tried different BIOS settings and everything, but nothing has worked. The only thing I did notice is that sometimes when I boot the computer, the hard drive light will be on all the time, even when I know it's not working. Those are the same times that I get the stop errors. Could it be a hard drive issue? I have an IBM Deskstar 75GXP 20 GB drive. If anyone has a suggestion as to what I could do that would be great, because I've run out of things to do.

Hmmm first things first - That Cel II 566 cant in my book run at 800 straight - why ? cuz it's locked at multiplier at 8.5x. So either you have a ****ed calculator or something odd is happening. My Cel II 566 runs at 850 (100X8.5) locked multiplier. BTW what mobo ? (mine is a BH6)

Next issue of the booterror - I had some too with an IBM disk - an 8.4 Dekstar 5 - though my IBM DJNA 352030 20.5 works with no errors at bootup. Have you tried borrowing a HD from a friend or something ? or maybe the connection cables are faulty somwwhat. I know it works when you cold boot so that IS a puzzle ??? So dood try getting HD and find out if the HD is triky on warm boot ups. Right now I cant think of anything you havent - beside the one or two suggestion I have wrote. You never know - so try it out - if possible

Latz

Actually the chip can run at 800 MHz - I'm using a 93 MHz FSB speed smile Unfortunately my chip couldn't do 850 mhz, so I had to take the FSB speed down a bit for it to be stable. The motherboard is an Abit BF6, and the reason I got it was because it allows you to adjust the FSB speed in 1 MHz increments from 83-200 MHZ smile

I thought it was just my system behaving like that. I have the exact same problem. Do you have the serive pack 1 installed?

Do you ever clean your registry with a program?

Regarding "Couldn't find nv4_mini.sys" I have to reinstall the driver after safe booting. Then there's another "Couldn't find EFS.sys" error message.

WTF is going on here?