Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mote

Adding new O/S

I currently have win2k and ntfs installed on my drive "C". I recently purchased a second hard drive to run as "D" and wish to install win98se on this new drive. When I boot from the win98 boot disk and the system only sees the new drive as drive "C", then I run setup on the win98 cd. The install routine copies files to the hard drive but then stops with an error stating that the drive is either ntfs or has errors and needs to be re-formatted or fixed before the install can continue. Is there anyway to install a new operating system after win2k has been installed, without 3rd party software? Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

BtW, I have read some of the previous posts regarding installing win9x after win2k. However the problem persists that the win9x installation hangs with the error mentioned above. I just thought I would clear that up for all the wonderful people (gag) who enjoy replying with "do a search, there are many posts that answer this..." smile Thank you, but I do not believe this particular error has been addressed before smile

thanks!

The prob comes from the NTFS format of your C drive. Win 98 will not see it and will be unable to write to it its boot stuff : io.sys, msdos.sys and other things.

Solution : convert NTFS to fat32.

Win98 setup will read it, install its boot stuff and you're done.

Just specify D:\WINDOWS drive and directory for it to install in when you are asked for. Win98 can be installed on ANY partition. The only pre-requisite is fat16 or fat32 C: partition.