Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tear

Win2k Server Installation/Setup

I have now made up my mind. I want to try out win2k server again. It will run as a Internet sharing router, web/ftp and file server. The ftp server have to be php enabled.

Should I use DNS,DHCP, WINS or what?What is fastest?

I want some kind of network were a user can login on any machine in the network. The users should have different kind of rights. How? Progs?

How should I do to remotely control the server. PCAnywhere?

What web/ftp server should I use? Apache? Since I want php? What FTP server is best?

------------------

-==( fear the tear )==-

[This message has been edited by tear (edited 15 April 2001).]

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Should I use DNS,DHCP, WINS or what?What is fastest?</font>

Ehhh, you do know how all this works right? DHCP pushed DNS & WINS out to the clients. You have to have a DNS/WINS/DHCP server to push that down.

If your running a very small LAN then don't use DHCP since there is no need. Just use static IP's.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I want some kind of network were a user can login on any machine in the network. The users should have different kind of rights. How? Progs?</font>

Not sure what your looking for here...Are you looking for programs to manage users? Wanting to know how to give network users specific rights?

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">How should I do to remotely control the server. PCAnywhere?</font>

What do you wish to do on the remote computer? Will telnet suffice? or do you need a GUI? Terminal Services comes with Windows 2000 and works fine or you can use WinVNC.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What web/ftp server should I use? Apache? Since I want php? What FTP server is best?</font>

Why not try out the ones that comes with 2000 first?

I tried IIS but it is to slow and isnt reallyt good with php. Maybe its just my hardware.

Must be... cuz IIS(5) is really fast. Don't use ICS, cuz it stinks... rather, use NAT in Routing and Remote Access. You can use DHCP if you want and have WINS get your NETBIOS names, DNS slap on a domain name...et voila! If you do it right, it will all work automatically and you'll nearly never have to fool with IPs etc on your lan.

BTW, IIS is real fast for HTTP, I don't like it for FTP as much. You can use it though to set up virutal directories guarded by Windows Authentication though.. so it's sorta like an ftp, but you can't upload. I believe you can still use an FTP client though. Thanx to Clutch for some of these insights laugh

[ 19 April 2001: Message edited by: Sandoval ]