Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Guvernment

Can Share files, but no internet??

Hello okay simple prob.

1.munning 2 comps, win 2k server and winME

2.want to network/share internet

OKay, i got the main comp (win2k ser) as the server, i got both comps seeing each other on the network, and sharing files/drives etc etc. BUT the internet will not work on the WinME machine..? i am lost, i got static IP's on the winME box and my second NIC in the win 2k ser box, the other NIC (to the cable modem is DHCP) am i missing something??

What do i put as the gateway? 192.168.0.1? (ip of the ICS shared NIC) or do i use the same gateway that the first NIC uses?? (one going to the cable modem?)

PLEASE HELP!! i am ripp'n my brains out..lol

ICQ me if u can ICQ 65361937

The gateway and primary dns of your winme box should be set to the ip address of your win2k server box.

--

Xiven

okay now for the DNS, it asks for a Host name and Domain (as u can see this is somewhat new to me) what do i put in the WinME box as the host and domain?(just what I have named it? 'winme' and the domain i have is 'mshome' so i just use these correct?) then do i put in the 192.168.0.1 as the DNS? or do i use the same DNS that my ISP gave me for my first NIC? i assume the same as the ISP?

Yes, just put the host name as the name of the winme box and the the domain name as whatever domain you're in (or blank if none). Always works for me.

Then you put the 192.168.0.1 as the DNS not the DNS that the ISP gave you.

--

Xiven

Listen,

You don't need to havy anything entered in the gateway field, nor the DNS, nor the WINS etc.

The server has a static IP Address. Any clients should have it set to 'Use DHCP to determine Ip' That is in windows 98,

'Determine IP automatically'

If the server (gateway) is a win9x box, make sure netbeui is installed for both adapters. I have done Internet connection sharing to death. There are so many misconceptions about what is right and what is wrong. A clever guide can be found HERE

1) Microsofts ICS works fine.

2) Sygate is crap.

3) the only 'tweak' that effects your cable/dsl speed is changing your RWIN. All the rest are just myths.

Disagree? Go HERE

Well assuming he has set up a DHCP server then yes, I would agree

--

Xiven