Sign in to follow this  
Madwacker

AMD, Asus K7V, Win2k and Linksys

Ok...this has to be the oddest error. Here's my system specs:

AMD Athlon SlotA 800Mhz

Asus K7V w/ latest BIOS rev (1007)

Via KX133 chipset w/ latest 4in1 drivers

640MB RAM

Linksys Etherfast 10/100 PCI NIC v4.1 w/ latest drivers.

Windows 2000 Pro

This NIC is fully compatible w/ 2K and when I install it, I get the following error that I cannot find on MS Knowledgebase, Linksys Tech support has never seen it...When i first got this system I had the same problem and a friend of mine spent a whole day tweaking it to work. I had to reformat..

Hardware Wizard:

Error:

The INF or the device information set or element does not match the specified install class.

puts an exclamation mark in Device manager on my NIC and sets a Code 1 to reinstall my drivers...nothing works.

thx in advance.

Got anything in PCI slot 1? Sometimes PCI 1 and the AGP slot share an IRQ, which is a problem. Try putting it in another PCI slot if possible.

Make sure youve got the latest drivers for all your hardware, not just the mobo and NIC.

Have you tried different versions of the Via drivers? Linksys?

Do you have Service Pack 1 installed?

Well I tried a 3Com card, a Generic NIC, and my Linksys NICs version 1, 2 and 4 ..none worked. So this leads me to believe that NO Nics are going to work. Im formatting again right now...going with a second clean install.

I had W2k Sp1 installed w/ the latest Asus K7V mobo bios, Via 4in1's and Linksys 4.2 drivers.

by the way, my Videocard is PCI. I put the Linksys NIC in PCI slot #1 just incase..still no go.

Well, I fixed it. The clean install of 2000 Pro and the first set of drivers i installed was the linksys NIC card, and not Sp1. Not sure if that had anything to do with it...but im in total relief. Don't have to buy a new system...

thanks for your ideas...

SP1 sometimes causes problems for people. I havent had a problem with it, but everyone has a different pc, so sometimes one size does not fit all.

There seem to be some things that just go out of whack with SP1, and Ive never heard a reason why it does. Bad luck is all I can figure.