Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tear

Server questions

1) I have a pentium pro 200 machine with 98mb of RAM that I want to use as a server in my network. My network is a connected by a switch. I have 4 computers plus the server. The server should act as a internet gateway for the network and is equiped with two networkcards. One to an ADSL connection and one to the network. The server should also act as a web and ftp server. The other computers on the network should be able to play games online surf and all tha basic stuff.

What OS should I run on my server. I tried with win2k server but I think that the server machine is to slow for that or maybe I screw up the installation. Then I tried redhat linux and that was to difficult for me. So now I don't know what to try next so that is my question. What kind of setup should I run on mu server machine? Preferbly I should be able to run remote setup on the server from one of the other machines?

2) What is novell netware? Is that som kind of network prog for windows or is it an os of its own? Novell have a bunch of different progs, is it anyone of the that I could use for my servermachine?

3)Is it possible to run a PHP enablebled server on Novell Netware?

------------------

-==( fear the tear )==-

[This message has been edited by tear (edited 15 April 2001).]

Run NT 4 Server. It works really well on machines of that class. In addition, if you don't know what Novell is, then you shouldn't be using it. I don't mean to sound harsh, but that is the simplest way to explain it.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

So how do you get to know what novell is? I have have to learn it somehow. I'm only 18 years old and the only way for me to learn someting is to try it out.

Cant you write a few lines about what novell is?

Novell is a network Server operating system like WinNT or Win2k.

It is it's own OS, although it does sit on DOS.

It offers a directory service which is more advanced that Windows 2000's Active Directory.

Saying that, a lot and I mean a lot of historically Novell only sites are now switching to Win2k.

AD might not offer quite the functionality as NDS, but it's what the Novell admins have been waiting for, Windows with NDS!

I believe Novell offer an evaluation copy of their software, check out their web site.

It's not something you can just jump into, but then again neither is Win2k Server.

You stated that Linux was too complicated, and that you did not know what Novell is. Therefore, you should stick to NT. Bladerunner gave as close to a "few line" description as possible. If you want more info on Novell, then go to www.novell.com and not to a WinNT/2K/XP forum.

------------------

Regards,

clutch