Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Asghar

Win2K Dial-Up password problem - help needed.

I have four dial-up connections setup on my system. When I today tried to connect to one of them I recieved an error "Invalid User name and password", this happens when this particular ISP is busy and I have to click on Connect again. This is the first time it has happened to me.

The problem is that now all the passwords for my dial-up connections have changed to 16 digit ones (not sure what it is). I can connect to either ISP I have setup by deleting the new password and typing in the correct one. Each time I try and dial up again though the password has changed back to the 16 digit one, for all ISP's, even after retyping in the correct password, the "remember password" box is ticked.

I even deleted all my dial-up connections and set them up again using "make new connection" with the proper passwords, but when I recheck them, the 16 digit password is back agin. For now I have unticked the "remember password" on all my connections and type in manually when I want to connect.

I am stumped. I have had the error "Invalid user name and password" whilst in Win98 and everything has stayed fine.

Can anyone help.

[This message has been edited by Asghar (edited 12 April 2001).]

that's pretty standard for it to show 16 char's for a saved password - that way, someone who doesn't know your password also won't know how long your password is by looking at it. It should still give the coreect password when logging in though.

Yeah, I noticed that when installing a new dial-up connection yesterday. Tripped me out though.

-bZj

Yes, your right.

I tried logging on with the DUN password showing longer than it really is, and it worked. The password stored was correct. Nice security feature, makes it difficult to guess the password.

Many thanks for the reply's.