Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Marchuz^

WINS server...

I'm currently on a small network setup with about 6 computers, I think the network browsing is quite slow so I have WINS server on my computer, but it only registers my computer, I'm in my own domain and all the other computers are in a second one...

The other computers won't even find my WINS server at all...

Anymone knows whats wrong??

Do you have the IP of the WINS server in the TCP/IP properties of all the clients? If you are using DHCP (preferably NT/2K server based), do you have the IP of the WINS box in the assignment properties for the clients? Try IPCONFIG /all from the command line in NT/2K clients, and WINIPCFG from the run line in Win9X clients to see if your WINS server is showing up on the client's properties page.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

BTW, why do you have 2 domains running?

------------------

Regards,

clutch

We only have one domain and that's because my computer is running active directory, I'm at my friend's place right now and all their computers are in their own workgroup. They don't the IP of my WINS in their TCP/IP properties, but arent't they supposed to find it automatically, or is that only when they're being rebooted?

Another reason may be that they have disabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP...

Yes that is most likely your problem. Since WINS uses NETBIOS names, you should have NETBIOS enabled over TCP/IP. Try clutch's suggestion first about manually entering the ip address to see if that works. Clutch knows what he's talking about, that's why he's so revered. smile

Nice way to splash back onto the board, sand. laugh

As for the WINS server IP, workstations will NOT find WINS servers any better than they would find DNS servers on their own. You have to enter the WINS IP into the client's TCP/IP properties just like DNS entries. In addition, go ahead and re-enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP as that is part of name resolution in case the WINS box is down. Once you do these, you should not have to manually create LMHOSTS on the clients.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Ok, but I think I heard once that it's not necessary to enter the WINS IP manually, but that was obviously wrong...

And another thing, if there is a computer with Internet connection sharing, is it necessary to have dynamic IP on the clients or is it enough to enter the IP of the ICS server as default gateway?

As long as the ICS server has a static IP (which it should), then you should be able to enter that IP as the gateway and DNS IP for all the clients.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Yeah, the ICS have a static IP...

But do you mean static IP on the LAN adapter or the Internet apapter?

I have no idea what you are talking about, I do not use ICS. I am just referring to general IP setup, so I would "imagine" that the LAN adapter would have all of these settings (WINS, DNS, Gateway). If the client is getting its proxy info from the "internet adapter", then I would imagine it needs gateway info as well. I would suggest reading the help file for that issue.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

NP. Name resolution is fine now?

------------------

Regards,

clutch