Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dirty Harry

A LAN problem and a odd thing

My LAN runs just fine, or so I thought. Today I needed to copy some large files (40-60MB pieces) between the two machines but run into trouble. After a while I get complete standstill, and later a message that the target drive is no longer available on the network. Had to disable/enable the connection or even reboot to get it up again. Otherwise the LAN is running OK. This is replicable, the transfer of a single large file mostly fails, but sometimes it works. A bunch of smaller files seem to transfer OK.

I have the same NIC's on both machines (3com Etherlink 3C905C-TX). The switch is a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router BEFSR41. I occasionally encounter a "network cable unplugged" message for a few seconds every now and then. On the net I've found several people complaining over this annoying message, but no solution.

Now to the odd part, one of the NIC's is not flashing any lights at all (its on a W98 box). Just sits there completely black but works fine (except for the above mentioned)The other one (on a W2K box )is shining its pale green limelight on the dust behind the PC. Isn't the green light supposed to be lit no matter what if the LAN is OK?

Anyone have a guess what's wrong ??

H.

We have one of those routers here at my house and my wife's computer running Win2K kept getting that message. She was also the longest run from the router. At any rate, I updated her NIC to a different brand (SMC, cheap but good) and the problem went away.

Also you might want to upgrade the flash ROM on the router.

Thanks for the tips, forgot to mentioned that I have the latest flash for the Linksys (1.37 I recall). Did you use a 3com Nic ? They are supposed to be good, maybe thats the problem?

H.

I know there were some problems with some 3Com cards and win98se(something for you to look into). Also there were some issues with one of those linksys routers(something 701)*I think*(I would look into that as well).

To be honest though it sounds to me like your are having a browsing issue. *It sounds like* one machine wont broadcast the resources it has available after a certain amount of time. I know that 2k had an issue with its browser service falling off after 15 minutes of what it *percieves* to be idle time. The only reason I say it sounds like a browser issue is, that, it only happens on large file transfers.

***had to edit bad spelling***

[This message has been edited by Moniker (edited 26 March 2001).]